slowing down an avet freespool

Started by bestout, April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Mark - if the magnets are mounted on a magnetisable piece of stainless they can be changed (weaker or stronger) or removed altogether ;)
If magnets weren't very useful why do tournament casters use them - and they are hitting 300yds :o
I use them on most of my conventional casting outfits. Some are factory fitted but most I have modded. Backlashes are a pain and waste of fishing time I prefer to avoid them

Jeri

Hi Guys,

I'm not the greatest fan of static magnet systems, as it rather removes the whole point of the original magnetic systems, which is what the tournament casters use – one that is adjustable during the flight of the sinker. Like the European version of the Penn 535, with the local magnetic system – added at the Penn facility in Scotland.

What they (tournament casters) are doing, is to set the reel on low or lowest brake setting during the start of the cast, then adjusting it to suit the conditions prevailing during the flight of the sinker. The point being at the very beginning of the cast, absolute maximum un-braked acceleration is needed to get the cast away, thus transferring the kinetic energy in the very stiff rods to the sinker. Then, during the flight as gravity, line friction and air friction all start to slow the sinker, then the spool of the reel needs some fine tuning with braking – to avoid the over wind.

Static magnets effectively offer just one setting while casting, unless you are very quick with the screwdriver!! That one setting is fixed and finite, and will effectively act as braking on the reel spool, during both the acceleration stage as well as the flight stage of the sinker's travel. A bit like driving your car with the handbrake on.

On my personal MXL MC, we removed material from the face of the magnet to get the reel spinning fast enough to accomplish any sort of distance with the very fast action rods we are using here in southern Africa. Effectively, I took the spin speed of the spool back to a 'full blood' MXL, but have the ability to now fine tune during the flight of the sinker with the factory fitted adjustment system.

In this instance, as I expressed, I think the rod is too soft in structure to launch such a heavy range of sinkers – despite what the manufacturers have put on the label – they are all prone to 'stretching the truth'. A surf casting rod for 10oz sinkers plus bait needs to be a real monster of a blank to cope with the casting load, something that will need about 40lbs or more to pull it round to full test curve at 90 degrees in a static test situation. Then it needs to spring back to rest in a very short time with the minimum number of oscillations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Tiddlerbasher

Jeri,
most of my own mods are adjustable like this

I only use the fixed (but selectable) mags for short distance casting or lobbing bait - where finesse is not really required.

Igor Peric

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 13, 2015, 08:34:46 PM
Quote from: Igor Peric on May 12, 2015, 10:05:27 PM

Problem with rust... (MXL 5.8 MC cast)

Clean it up then get a nice light coat of marine grease over all those parts.

;)

RTT,
mbg60
and
johndtuttle,

thanks for advice!

in fact, this Avet MXL not my, owner is my friend ...

It is necessary to replace the pinion bearings... new magnet (original or fixed) ...