PENN 420SS

Started by Alto Mare, April 26, 2015, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Servicing a Penn 420SS, I will be removing all parts, except the housing bushing and pinion bushing, I didn't think there was a need for those, but they could be knocked out if needed

I'll start by removing the drag knob and spool

the metal keyed and the clicker spring

the spool sleeve slides right off by pressing the button on top

next the housing cover

removing the cross wind arm screw and the spool shaft slides right out

removing the handle, cross wind roller, roller screw and the main gear comes out ( main gear, ratchet and shaft as a unit)

rotor comes off next

removing the bearing retainer spring

and removing the pinion and bearing

also the dog, eccentric and trip cam

the bail wire

and the trip lever and cam lever.
These pics should be very helpful here, this is the only area that might throw you off if you never did one of these before

here is how you want it to go back in

bail parts

and here is a shot of all parts off the reel

now the reassembly, I'll start with the rotor by reassembling the lever spring

cleaning the line roller

and placing it back while adding a little oil

its a good idea to place the bail arm spring on the bail prior to setting it is, this will make it much easier

at this point do not tighten the screw all the way, when the opposite side is in place, go ahead and tighten all screws

to make sure all is working as it should, the trip lever should look as I'm showing when the bail is opened

and retracted when closed

cleaning the bushings on the housing

setting the eccentric back in

along with the main gear and dog

cleaning the stainless steel pinion...there are some amazing parts on this little reel

and setting it back in, along with the bearing and trip cam

setting the rotor in, make sure that nut is nice and snug

a little oil on the spool shaft

and in it goes

although not needed on this little reel, I decided to upgrade the drag with a .45mm carbon fiber washer and a Delrin to replace the Teflon thrust washer. I decided to keep the original Teflon drag washer on top, but it isn't necessary, I feel that it is helping a little with the knob

and here is the finished reel, now working nice and smooth

Here is a shot of the 420ss next to its bigger brother the 704Z.
both share the same guts, but of course on a smaller scale on the 420

you'll be hard pressed finding a reel of the same size with the same qualities, this is a mini tank

Enjoy it! any questions...just ask!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

thanks  sal   great tutorial, nice informative pictures, your the best

foakes

Great pics, and great tutorial, Sal --

A Master at work --

These are one of the best small spinners that were ever produced, by any company -- for any price.

Thanks for sharing,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.
I was getting some questions on these nice little reels lately and since I had to service one, I thought it would be a good idea to post some pictures.
Those would be worthless for most, but hopefully very helpful for the newbies.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

how much back play in that handle, cheers

Bryan Young

I love these 420Ss and 430 ss reels.  Nice work Sal and thanks for sharing.

One thing, what is that red grease?   I thought Penn grease was blue?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bestout

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 27, 2015, 12:38:50 AM
I love these 420Ss and 430 ss reels.  Nice work Sal and thanks for sharing.

One thing, what is that red grease?   I thought Penn grease was blue?
might be a top secret grease hidden in a lucky charms mini pot.

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on April 27, 2015, 12:19:49 AM
how much back play in that handle, cheers
Wallace, it feels just a little more than the 750ss or 850ss that you have. To me though, these have a better design, the rotor has no sideway movement at all, can't say that for most other spinners. As you can see from the picture, the stainless steel pinion runs almost all the way through the housing.
I'm not sure if the ratchet is removable, it has to be or it would have been very hard to machine it. If so, maybe Adam could make us some ratchets with more teeth. :-\, but I personally don't have an issue with the back play on the handle.
I like everything on this reel but one little screw. The bail arm screw is made out of plastic, I'm guessing as a corrosion prevention there. No matter how careful you are removing that screw, the slot will always get messed up.
With that said, these are little jewels.

Bryan, the red grease is Valvoline, I've been using it for a while now and really like it. I believe for a 16 0z. the cost is $5, I was adding power steering fluid to it, I now add just a teaspoon of reel-x to the 16 oz. can and its working out nicely.
This grease will look the same as the first day you placed it in the reel, others do show some color changes. I'm not sure if that means anything though, I do know that the older Penn grease used to get brown and very hard. I believe their grease is different now.

Bryan Young

Thanks Sal.  I though you were using Penn grease, and I have never saw red Penn grease.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Great work mate - and top-notch photos too.
Cheers Sal
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

bestout

sometimes for some weird reason my penn grease turned black.

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on April 27, 2015, 01:34:58 AM
well done!!!!
Sal could use another Alan Tani wrench.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Sal

I was working on a 450SS this weekend & saw Red Grease & thought it was one of your reel that you sold. Then I checked the Drags & found 3 - Teflon Washers & no CF washers. I knew it wasn't one of your reel ever. Now just waiting for parts from Scott's.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.