PENN 420SS

Started by Alto Mare, April 26, 2015, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

thanks sal, mine is 1/3 turn before dog engages
ill go catch a mahi next trip on it :o

fsrmn

Good information ;D  I was just going to ask if you removed the Teflon washer when you added the CF one. You answered my question before I could ask it. I left mine  in too but wasn't sure. With the Delrin under the spool it really improved the drag.  :D
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

mark d

i followed the link you left at stripersonline...glad i did . great job. thks

mark

Alto Mare

Quote from: mark d on April 30, 2015, 08:47:29 AM

mark
Thanks Marc!
SOL is a good place for this to be, lots of members that really like these reels, that's why I decided to place the link there.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Quote from: mark d on April 30, 2015, 08:47:29 AM

mark

Mark and Sal,

What link are you referring to? Please put the link here.

Thanx,

Leo

johndtuttle

Thanks for that Sal, I've never seen one in my own hands and now nearly feel I have :).

I posted a similar comment in the other thread but it deserves mention here too:

At the modest drag needed to fish 6 or 8lb test line that reel would last 200 years or more with basic lube. :)

Just an awesome drive train.  ;)

Doug

This tutorial was very helpful I never really  took  the rotor assembly  completely a part very helpful in getting the little parts lined up . You saved me hours of possible frustration Thanks Sal

Reel 224

Great tutorial Sal, this will be a good reference for working on my wife's penn Pur-4000
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

basto

That little reel with it`s worm drive, brings back memories of my DAM , ABU and PENN reels I had long ago, but I think this model PENN would be my personal pick from that era, for the solidity, aesthetic design and that great skirted spool with it`s HT100 drag.
A truly beautiful, classic.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Chuck750ss

Question on the drag pressure plate/spring. Is the proper installation with the drag knob pressing on the center of the plate or on the outside ?

Alto Mare

You would get the same pressure either way, but it only goes one way.
Top of the curve should be facing up.
If you tried it upside down, the tail pieces would interfere with the drag knob.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 18, 2017, 04:24:21 PM
You would get the same pressure either way, but it only goes one way.
Top of the curve should be facing up.
If you tried it upside down, the tail pieces would interfere with the drag knob.

Sal
Sal, by the tail pieces you referring to the outside circumference? The outer circumference is making contact with the metal drag washer and the center raised up off the metal drag washer about 1/8th inch? Hate to ask dumb questions, but I am a simple guy!
While I have your ear will installing a smooth drag washer in place of the Teflon make the drag smoother?
Thanks for responding.

Alto Mare

Yes to your first question, no to your second.
To me you won't find smoother washers than Teflon, but Teflon compresses and doesn't do to good on reels larger than these.
Keep in mind you are targeting 5 to 6lb drag on this little guy, Teflon would be your best option.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 18, 2017, 09:51:40 PM
Yes to your first question, no to your second.
To me you won't find smoother washers than Teflon, but Teflon compresses and doesn't do to good on reels larger than these.
Keep in mind you are targeting 5 to 6lb drag on this little guy, Teflon would be your best option.

Thanks again Sal! I use ultralight reels to catch skipjack (bait for catfish) and panfish. Have two little Shimano's, didn't need the 420. But I ran across one in mint condition and HAD to have it! Stripped it down and removed the original Penn grease. Greased with a synthetic grease that I use for my reel grease. Does not spin quite as easy as the Shimano's, but not a big difference either. And the little Penn is built much better. May just have to have another one!

Alto Mare

I was reading and was ready to make you an offer, but that last part of your answer got me ::) :).