PENN 420SS

Started by Alto Mare, April 26, 2015, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 17, 2018, 12:45:33 AM
The stock pinion looks as if the cut on the start of the shaft is a little rough. I would personally look at that and if it needs some filing to make a smooth running with the main.

Joe

I saw that too Joe, but it's out there where the grooves start, the main never contacts that part. I think that is from where they cut the gear, I tried filing that, it was like filing chromium. I don't think that brass main could do that that.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

I would be interested in knowing what you find in your final assembly.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 17, 2018, 05:00:29 PM
I would be interested in knowing what you find in your final assembly.

Joe

Sure thing Joe, I'll make a post about the reel when I get her finished. Thanks Sal for this tutorial...it's very helpful.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on February 17, 2018, 01:22:03 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 17, 2018, 12:45:33 AM
The stock pinion looks as if the cut on the start of the shaft is a little rough. I would personally look at that and if it needs some filing to make a smooth running with the main.

Joe

I saw that too Joe, but it's out there where the grooves start, the main never contacts that part. I think that is from where they cut the gear, I tried filing that, it was like filing chromium. I don't think that brass main could do that that.
I'm with you on this, that part of the pinion never makes contact with the gear, so I'm guessing there was no need to waste time on it .
I do want to mention that on 1 or 2 reels, I had to sand it down a bit, it would get caught on the bushing a little. But that could have been caused by someone hitting it from the back side to get the bearing out...I do it as well.
By the way, I have a non threaded SS bolt with a nice head on it and about 4" in length, I use it to tap the pinion out when it's really stuck. It has always done a good job, but you need to be gentle with the taps.

I'm glad this was of some help to you Mo.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

I dress both ends of the worm gear cut on every reassembly. Mainly to make sure there's no bind or friction in the oilites or bushings. A lot of the time there'll be a rough edge somewhere and it makes a big difference.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 20, 2018, 05:16:49 PM
I dress both ends of the worm gear cut on every reassembly. Mainly to make sure there's no bind or friction in the oilites or bushings. A lot of the time there'll be a rough edge somewhere and it makes a big difference.

I had to dress a ding on the front edge of the pinion to get the bearing off.
One on the back side would wreck the bushing. The slightest nick on that pinion has to be smoothed. I have all the parts cleaned and polished. I'm going to pre-fit the drivetrain when the new main gear arrives. Then set the parts aside again and paint the housing. 8)

mo65

The new main gear came in today, so I smeared a little of that Superlube clear grease on the gears and cranked the handle. It meshed nice and smooth...I was relieved...now to get on with the project. 8)

Alto Mare

Good job Mo, one of the reason Scott's sells them separate. Pinions of that design are very tough, they last a long time.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

joe k

Sal...just picked up a 430ss on a nice st.croix 6ft rod..and 4400ss...on a nice quantum american series 6ft..43.00 for the pair..they both are nice shape..but ive got to get into both..just to see ..my nature..glad you have this tutorial avaiable..will post pics when both done..420ss and 430ss basically the same correct?..probally have more questions down the path here..hope you don't mind..Joe

Alto Mare

Quote from: joe k on March 11, 2019, 09:53:44 PM
Sal...just picked up a 430ss on a nice st.croix 6ft rod..and 4400ss...on a nice quantum american series 6ft..43.00 for the pair..they both are nice shape..but ive got to get into both..just to see ..my nature..glad you have this tutorial avaiable..will post pics when both done..420ss and 430ss basically the same correct?..probally have more questions down the path here..hope you don't mind..Joe
Joe, you did really good, I never get those type of deals.
Yes on the 420SS and 430SS, they are basically the same, with the exception the body, the 430Ss is a little bigger, but has the same guts.

any question you might have, I would never mind answering you.

Have fun with those nice reels.

Sal

festus

This ad popped up on my Facebook marketplace newsfeed a few minutes ago.  Several reels for sale, including a Penn 420SS for $20 + shipping from Madison, WI.  I started to respond, but lo and behold this was posted Feb. 17, 2018.  :'(

Somebody got a bargain.  :o ::)

Reelmeneer

Nice job!

Is there anyone over here that can help me with this decal? It needs to be replaced...

Regards,

Ed

joe k

Sal..where can i find the 45mm carbon fiber washer and delrin for my 430..all disassembled cleaned in us cleaner..lubed and reassembled..what a little gem..needed nothing..would just like to install drag parts you mentioned..Joe

Alto Mare

Joe, the reel looks really nice.
I used to purchase sheets of Carbon Fiber, but haven't done it in a while.
Send me your address on a PM and I'm sure I will find a piece so I could make you one.
As for the thrust washer, I wouldn't worry about it, the Teflon will do just fine on these little guys.

Sal

SoShoresGuy

Sorry to wake up an older post, but I have a question on the 420ss. I am using 4# fluorocarbon line and sometimes it gets caught between the bail arm (#34 in the parts diagram) and the rotor cup? (wrong part # in the parts diagram?). I purchased a new bail arm plus a new bail arm screw from Scott's. There is still a little "slop" between the bail arm and the rotor cup, so sometimes the line gets caught in that area if I am not careful.
Am I doing something wrong? It is almost like there should be a washer or something to take up that slack. I really doubt that the rotor cup has worn down, but I do use this little reel a lot. I also have a 430ss and I don't have a similar problem with it. Maybe I should just re-spool with some heavier mono. It is a little frustrating at times (and it makes a mess with the line).

This:
TIA