PENN 420SS

Started by Alto Mare, April 26, 2015, 03:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

No need to apologize SoShoresGuy, that's why these are here.
Looking at your pics, it seems to me the bail wire might be bend a little and causing the bail arm to tilt.
It is a bit of a pain to get it just right, but if you take your time, you might be able to line it up by bending it a little at a time.

These are great reels, don't give up on them :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Yeah, SSGuy —

Sal is exactly right —

Since you have a new bail arm and bail arm screw — it can only be the bail wire that needs some slight bending inwards.

There are no shims or washers that are supposed to be in this assembly — and like you say, the metal rotor would not wear out.

Here is one of mine — and it has a natural but sloppy gap also.

As for the line catching — I generally use 4# Berkeley Trilene — And never get that type of issue.

Sometimes if a spool of line has a "coil memory" — it could be getting caught where it shouldn't.

You can try different mono — or let out your line 2/3rds of capacity, and stretch it slightly to straighten out any memory — and keep the line about 1/4" below the rim of the spool.  This will help to prevent wind snarls.

Excellent little reels!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SoShoresGuy

Thanks Sal & Fred. I'll give it a try.
So far, the fluorocarbon has NO memory, so that shouldn't be the problem, but if the trouble still exists, I'll give mono a shot.
Right now, I am using this for freshwater and trying out those Trout Magnets. Boy, do they work well when I can get a cast where I want.
I won't give up on the little critter. As I said previously, I also have a 430ss, a couple of 550ss and a 750ss (which is a beast.). I have a close friend that bought an 850ss back in the 80's. Good Lord, you could bring up a freezer with that reel.
I'll let the public know how I made out.

SoShoresGuy

After several attempts, I think I have the bail spring bent correctly.
Looking at the side with the bail closed, the bail spring doesn't seem to be equidistant or in a true arc across the spool (sorry I couldn't get a shot, not enough fingers). Maybe that is the way it should be. If not, I'll order a new bail spring from Scott's.
Two photos: 1st with the bail closed, 2nd with the bail open.
Ready for comments if you all have the time.
Mark
PS: Sorry for all of that crud in the cup. I'll clean that stuff out.
PPS: That stuff doesn't show up with naked eyes. Humm.

Alto Mare

Good job! That looks really good to me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoShoresGuy

We'll see. Thanks for the encouragement.

SoShoresGuy

Hah, so much better.
Thanks for pushing me. I'm still getting more line at the bottom of the spool than what I would like, but maybe I can figure it out. I did have one "blow-up" but I'm pretty sure that is mostly due to the light lure (Trout Magnet + Float) and the fluorocarbon 4# line.
Thanks guys (and girls). I have most of the parts to break this reel down, clean it out, and keep on fishing with it. I might just go ahead and purchase a new spring bail since I am a little concerned with winding more line at the bottom of the spool. I have all new washers to put into this little power dude. I'll replace what I think is important, lube it, and hopefully I can get another 25+ years from it.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Take care,
Mark

Retired lathe man

First class tutorial,your attention to detail is incredible!
RLM

Rancanfish

I'm sure he appreciates it RLM.  Even 3 years later.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

sandbar

Thank You Sal for this great tutorial!
You helped me get through a battle with a 430SS bail trip lever assembly today.
Gone but not forgotten. Still helping others with the knowledge you shared.