Hollow Braid

Started by Rivverrat, August 13, 2015, 09:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I've been using Toro Tamer Hollow exclusively for over 2 years now. I am fully aware that braid has issue when it comes to abrasion.
With that being said, are there any hollow braids that stand out as being significantly better than others regarding abrasion resistance?

I've only lost 2 fish from using braid. Being where I fish some of this is do to luck. From looking into it I'm guessing this situation regarding the use of hollow braid is what it is....Jeff  

conchydong

Some braids have coatings that might help with abrasion but I would think that it would be minimal. Many manufacturers offer various types of coatings. Most people that fish braid around structure use a mono or fluorocarbon top shot which is more abrasion resistant. Braid has many great qualities but abrasion resistance is not one of them.

Rivverrat

Oh I'm using at least a mono leader & on some of my reels close to a 100 yard top shot.

Tiddlerbasher

If you can source large enough spools Kevlar braid would make an excellent choice for a main line. Tooth proof and very abrasion resistant - I use it for cats, pike and sea fishing.

Normslanding

Most coatings are cosmetic. A few add a little abrasion resistance. Only you can judge if it is worth it to you. I have found that 8 weave/strand solid to be more resistant than hollow. But for me it is not enough to stop using hollow. Being able to replace sections of hollow with a 100% splice is a big factor. Ya, it costs more for hollow, but that one fact overrides the initial cost. My hollow comes from China, it costs about 30% of Toro. They have hollow down to 20 lb. test. The cost of China PE, as well as better connection of hollow to Fluoro/ Mono make it a no brainier, FOR ME.

Rivverrat

Normslanding, Your reasoning is the EXACT same for me & I why I have continued to use hollow in spite of it's one major short coming....Jeff

Im going to have to look into trying solid kevlar.

Tiddlerbasher

Kevlar comes in hollow as well - but I've only found it in 6M lenghths. This kind of length is good for knotless hook lengths and shortish rubbing leaders. Let me know if you source any large spools. It does make life niece and easy to do a 100% splice with ordinary hollow braid mainline - No knots to go through the rings ;)

I usually buy from this guy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opass-Pro-V1-Kevlar-30-350lb-6m-Hollow-Braided-Fishing-Line-/150894418261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2322021955

conchydong

Kevlar is a lot tougher and heat resistant than Spectra/Dyneema but is about twice the diameter of Spectra for a given line class and a lot more expensive. If capacity is a issue, it may not work for you. I do use it for making assist hooks and it is great for that. It may have some specialty applications for use as a fishing line but I am not familiar with them. Good luck with your quest.

Normslanding

Back before Russ Izor brought Spectra to the fishing world he started with Kevlar. A couple of us did some testing of both products for Russ. We had two types of Kevlar a twisted 50 lb., and a braided 100 lb. The two lines had some promise but it was waxed to prevent fraying. The wax made it sticky so it did not cast well. Also we used it fishing deep water Rock Cod, but again the wax kept the line stuck on the spool. The spool would go forward and backward again and again as the sinker pulled on the line. We solved some of the issue by turning the reel up side down. The point is not the wax but the fraying, as well as it is larger than Spectra/PE for the same pound test. It's knot strength was good. Some of the manufacturers have used a Kevlar strand in there braid. I could only speculate why, maybe knot strength. If Kevlar (in the future) proves it self to be better than Spectra/PE several manufacturers will jump on it, if the cost is right. OH, I still have some Kevlar from Russ.

Tiddlerbasher

The Kevlar I was referring to has no coating wax or otherwise.
JB hollow braid .53mm quoted (.65 - .7mm when measured) Kevlar hollow .55mm quoted (probably similar to JB if accuratly measured). Not a lot of differece really.

Rivverrat

I may buy some shorter lengths to do some abrasion testing on. I can only imagine you can cross their eyes when setting a hook with a Kevlar line. Being that stretch would be pretty much non existent. More so than some braids.

Tiddlerbasher

I have only ever found hollow Kevlar in short 6m lengths - I'd love to find large spools - they have got to be out there :-\
The JB/Kevlar comparison I made was with 130lb line.

Normslanding

look at kite stuff. They may use Kevlar.

Tiddlerbasher

The kite stuff is usually very ropey/rough feeling - but it is plentiful - it is not hollow however.