80# Braid on a 113h - two questions

Started by tab, April 29, 2015, 04:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Self-sealing tape the spool - and wax if you prefer - then braid (under 10lb tension) then mono topshot. Mono under braid - I just don't like the idea :-\ Surely the mono can get deformed/damaged by the pressure :-\ Also why use mono under braid??

seaeagle2

I use my 113H's for halibut fishing so I want the braid on top so I can feel the sinker tapping the bottom  (I actually use 65 lb), so I use Dacron to fill the spool, then the braid, then tie the braid to a spreader bar then a mono leader to the spreader bar...
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

day0ne

I usually just spool about 500yds of 100 pound braid and call it a day
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Keta

Spectra uses up 2/3 less of the spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 11, 2015, 07:38:10 PM
Mono under braid - I just don't like the idea :-\ Surely the mono can get deformed/damaged by the pressure :-\ Also why use mono under braid??

I feel the same way. I used to put mono on first because that's what everyone else was doing at the time. It takes up to much room it also created other issues with certain brands of braid. If a fish is strong enough to get into my backing, I would rather it not be mono.   

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Rivverrat on August 16, 2015, 04:03:45 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 11, 2015, 07:38:10 PM
Mono under braid - I just don't like the idea :-\ Surely the mono can get deformed/damaged by the pressure :-\ Also why use mono under braid??

I feel the same way. I used to put mono on first because that's what everyone else was doing at the time. It takes up to much room it also created other issues with certain brands of braid. If a fish is strong enough to get into my backing, I would rather it not be mono.   

why some people use mono as backing?

2 reasons;

1. to prevent slippage
2. as a filler

MarkT

For rock/bottom fishing, spectra gives more sensitivity. I put some flex tape on the spool and fill with spectra then go with a shot leader of mono and/or fluoro for all fishing. Some go with mono as a filler then spectra on top. Charkbait offers that as an option when you get a reel filled. You can take the line off and flip it if bait fishing or just do as I do and call it good.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!