113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith K

Mine is on a 700H with 80# JB Hollow.

slip tip

Hi, ateel7!

If I may suggest, get the 6/0 Kolelar handle from Alan for your Baja Special. I have 3 of those reels and all have been "Kolekarized". It makes a HUGE difference in the amount of comfort in the way the handle will feel, not to mention added torque to really winch in fish. It will also help if you move the handle arm length adjustment to the last hole at the end of the arm. A perfect combination of speed and torque especially if you're working jigs.

Regards,
David

If you kill it, grill it!

George4741

Alan,

I'm unable to find instructions for adjusting or changing around the drag stack on this reel.  I've set mine up this way:  1 ht100, 1 keyed washer, 2 ht100, 1 keyed washer, 1 ht100, 2 keyed washers.  This way I basically have a 3-drag stack.  Is this acceptable?

I set mine up this way because, with the drag star backed off, the factory drag setting seems too high to my liking.  I don't have a pull gage to check it, so I'm just going by feel. 

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Bryan Young

The Baja Special has those Versa-Drag (I think that is what they call it) where the metal washers are keyed and the HT-100s are eared, if my memory is correct.  it comes with 4 keyed metal washers and 4 HT-100 eared washers with a fiber washer under the gear stack.  All, correct me if I'm wrong.

The drag can be set up in any of the following configurations based upon the drag you need, and all configurations are just fine.

Max Drag - Gear, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal
             - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, Metal, Metal
             - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, Metal, Metal
Min Drag  - Gear, HT-100, HT-100, HT-100, HT-100, Metal, Metal, Metal, Metal

Note, the stacking of metal washers or carbon washers, if done, doesn't matter where in the stack they are as long as there is a HT-100 adjacent to the gear and you end with a metal washer on top of the drag stack.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Thanks Bryan, that is the info I needed.

Regards,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

wolvie

Hi,

I managed to acquire a lightly used baja which seems to have gotten at least part of the AlanTani treatment, meaning a light coating of yamaha marine grease on all internals, threads and spool ends - even under the foot.  But I had a question about the bearings.  I noticed that the bearing in the drag stack was open and lubed, but it looked like the rest were sealed.  My impression from reading the posts is that the spool bearings should be unsealed, degreased and lubed with TSI.  I think 3 bearing qualify as spool:  key #s 40, 55 and 55A.  But getting the shields off the left side and tiny inner spool bearings on the right is a bear.  I tried a knife and a pin, but no luck.  Any suggestions?  At this point, I am just cleaning them in acetone and adding TSI.

Thanks and Happy 4th!

wolvie

I opened it up and noticed that the drags were not greased so I greased them.  Upon reassembly, I noticed that with the star turned down far enough to have no contact between the reel handle and the star, there is a minimum of drag of several pounds.  The reel seems to have been upgraded with the 6th bearing, since the star is plastic rather than metal, so perhaps there is a necessary adjustment in the drag stack?  I could file the spacer down a bit to compensate, I guess, but I imagine the winning solution will be to just let it have a non-zero minimum drag. 

Alto Mare

I would let it go wolvie. if it was a smaller reel, I would then do something about it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

My 113HN is the five bearing model and it has a slight drag with the star backed off all the way. Like Sal said, it shouldn't be a concern. Penn should replace your plastic star with the metal one for free. Look on their website for a recall notice. It is one nice reel! 8)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

basto

It has taken me far too long, but I have just ordered one of these reels. I have an original Torque 200, which has the same disengaging pinion and double dogs as the Baja, but the thing I like most (for bottom fishing with bait) about this reel, is the tall spool with low gear ratio.
Just like the 113h Senator, I think this reel will become a classic in PENN`s offerings.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Gman_WC

I don't see 113HN drags listed on the Smooth drag site.
Are they available in anything other than HT100's from Penn?
Thanks -gary
Walnut Creek, CA

akfish

Smooth Drag does not drag washers or the 113HN -- but they don't really need to. The HT-100s they come with stock are great.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gman_WC

I'm sure the HT100's work just fine but the Carbontex material would last a little longer.
I picked up a used one on fleabay tonight at the nice price and would be
happy to hear where I could find a set or two for spares.
Mike's appears to be out of stock.
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

the stock ht-100's are fine.  the same manufacturer makes ht's and carbontex.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

I can not get the pictures to open in this Baja Speical tutorial, anyone have any ideas what I can do ???
The newer tutorials are fine but the tutorials dated in 2008 will not open.
Thanks,
John