113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Spooled up my Coffee Can Special last night and discovered a bump every 1/4 turn of the handle and then when pulling drag hear a clicking about every 6 to 8" of line pulled....thinking the pinion is toast....any thoughts?  Would like to fish it next week and not sure it will last.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mikeysm

Scott's has the parts and the deliver very fast.

Mike

Ruffy

Haha, I agree on Scotts postage! I bought some parts from here in Darwin Australia, they got from USA to Sydney quicker than they got from Sydney to Darwin  ???

steelfish

Quote from: TARFU on August 17, 2017, 02:57:25 AM
.......... and then when pulling drag hear a clicking about every 6 to 8" of line pulled....thinking the pinion is toast....any thoughts?  .

I dont know Bill, but if you hear the sound even when you pull the line it cant be the pinion, I might be wrong but to my understanding the pinion keep steady when you pulling line from the reel witht the drag lever activated, I would look for something rubbing with the spool

another test is to take the pinion out and put the spool and the reel and spin it to look for the sound
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: steelfish on August 17, 2017, 04:54:49 PM
Quote from: TARFU on August 17, 2017, 02:57:25 AM
.......... and then when pulling drag hear a clicking about every 6 to 8" of line pulled....thinking the pinion is toast....any thoughts?  .

I don't know Bill, but if you hear the sound even when you pull the line it cant be the pinion, I might be wrong but to my understanding the pinion keep steady when you pulling line from the reel with the drag lever activated, I would look for something rubbing with the spool

another test is to take the pinion out and put the spool and the reel and spin it to look for the sound

The pinion turns when the drag goes out.   The spool turns the pinion, the pinion turns the main.  The dogs/ratchet  keep the gear sleeve from turning backwards. The drag is applied via the friction of the drag washers that are locked to the main gear or the gear sleeve. The main gear turns as the drag slips, allowing the pinion to turn  which allows the spool to turn.  If the problem does not occur in freespool, and occurs when cranking or taking out drag- then it is correct to look at the components involved in both operations.  If you look at the actual gear ratio for the reel in question- you should be able to narrow down further  - e.g. on a 4.3:1 ratio reel- you get a set of bumps that synchronize exactly to to 4.3  turns of the handle- the pinion/ pinion shaft assembly is a good place to look. if it it synchronizes to the handle rotations (e.g exactly 3 bumps per full handle rotation) the main gear /ratchet and related parts is is the place to start.  If it is not clear- it could be both.

The Baja Special has a separate shaft for the pinion- AKA floating pinion-  so if the problem appear to synchronize with the pinion, I would also look at the pinion shaft assembly, and especially the pinion to spool junction which other reports seem to indicate as the second most common point of failure after the dogs/ratchet assembly. 

Just the uniformed opinion of  someone who does not own a Baja Special  :)

-J

steelfish

As I said before, I still have a lot to learn here

Thanks Jeff
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Thanks guys....Have a new pinion on order and will start there.  In free spool or with the drag backed all the way out no issues.  Does not fee like the spool is jumping on the pinion, more like something in the interaction between the main and pinion....Will update when the pinion arrives.....Bill\

8/20/17- received the new pinion and all is well.  Clicking stopped on drag run out and bumping stopped during retrieve.  A careful examination of the old pinion shows barely perceptible wear and dings ...also found a spring rolling around the work bench.....looking at the schematics it's not shown, but was able to figure out it goes between the spool stub shaft and the spool, basically putting pressure on the stub shaft and keeping the right side bearing in place....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Surfwrangler

So I had my AR fail during our mini snapper season here off the SE coast of the US this weekend. Not to worry it wasn't till after we already boated our limit of 1 per person. However upon breaking the reel Down to inspect the innards I could not determine any wear on the dogs or ratchet. There was unfortunately a different issue as the posts molded into the frame that the bridge rests on were broken off the frame. Upon re assembly the reel appears to be working properly but I have some major concerns about its robustness, understandably. Any word on whether the reel will fish without those posts for the bridge to rest on??? I fish a near buttoned down drag with 1/2 spool of #80 spectra. What are yalls thoughts???

Rancanfish

Did you buy it used?  I'm having a hard time remembering how it assembles, to picture what posts you are referring to. The bridge rests in the sideplate I think.

I guess if someone else can't help, I could take one apart.  But mine have the Cortez Conversions bridge assembly upgrade so I'm not sure if that would help.

Maybe you have a picture?

Reading your post again, and the way you use your Baja, you may consider a Cortez bridge too. The dog posts and ratchet are the weak point on the original.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

steelfish

Quote from: Surfwrangler on November 07, 2017, 05:52:08 AM
There was unfortunately a different issue as the posts molded into the frame that the bridge rests on were broken off the frame. Upon re assembly the reel appears to be working properly but I have some major concerns about its robustness, understandably. Any word on whether the reel will fish without those posts for the bridge to rest on??? I fish a near buttoned down drag with 1/2 spool of #80 spectra. What are yalls thoughts???

well, I have a friend that use his Baja the same way that you (I actually using it that way too, 80# braid and almost bottoned down fishing deep reefs), and his reel dont have any of those plastic posts, I talked to him recently trying to get him another sideplate but he told me that his reel is working good, he actually caught a big gulf grouper on it few weeks ago with the reel as is (no plastic posts).

I think you're good but I would get a new side plate to be safe and leave the broken one as spare.
my friend called me to tell me about the fish of the picture and remember me that his reel have no plastic posts, he did it since I told him that it might fail with a big fish if he didnt get a new sideplate.  :P ::) :-\ :-\

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

What nice beast of a fish !!!  Nice pic... Jeff

Surfwrangler

Yeah I suppose that the 4 bridge screws are enough and really the primary support against the bridge torquing inside the frame. I just thought it was weird. I am strongly considering the Cortez bridge. I am correct in understanding that Penn is not supporting a fix on this right??? Its several years old and I actually traded a Daiwa saltiest BG leverdrag 30 for it so there is not bill of sale. Thanks for your input guys.

Anglerboi

Hello, hope everyone is doing okay during the quarantine.  I noticed last season that the drag on my baja special when buttoned all the way down would give me at max 10-15lbs.  I haven't opened up the reel yet but I assume I might need too replace the drag washers.  I want to go with carbontex drag washers but unsure of what size or the model name I should purchase.  Thanks in advance!

Donnyboat

Hi Bill, getting back to your reel clicking ever 6 to 8 inches,, did you have plenty of drag on it, maybe with very little or nil drag, the main gear & pinion were not fully engaging, hence the clicking. just a thought, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

Anglerboi, just go to Smoothdrag.com.  The phone number is there too. Dawn will have them.

Donnyboat,  I bet Bill figured it out.  That was 2017.   
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.