What exactly is this?

Started by Tightlines667, April 30, 2015, 10:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

conchydong

Maybe a vintage reel box for (old style) Army communication lines. Doesn't look like it is for fishing to me.

Tightlines667

Here is another similar item..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281677824178?nav=SEARCH

Label states it is a "Astrograph Kodak Co. Army box."

The seller is implying it was used as an electric downrigger for fishing.  

I think your assesment is more on the mark.  Not fishing-related at all.  Then again, who knows?
Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

I first thought they were not fishing related but looking at the gear in the boxes sort of makes me feel they are for fishing. Very strange items that do deserve further research.

Nuvole

It look like the tools for army signaller to lay cable.

Reel 224

Quote from: Nuvole on May 01, 2015, 09:12:07 AM

I don't think so, doesn't look like anything I ever saw in the military. There has to be a was to research those boxes,looks like there is a scripted plate on the top of that last picture.

I stand corrected, I just took a closer look at that second box and the ID plate does say property of the US Army. It has to date back to WW I or early WWII, nothing like anything I ever saw in my military time 63-67
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Maxed Out

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 01, 2015, 12:45:13 PM
Quote from: Nuvole on May 01, 2015, 09:12:07 AM

I don't think so, doesn't look like anything I ever saw in the military. There has to be a was to research those boxes,looks like there is a scripted plate on the top of that last picture.

I stand corrected, I just took a closer look at that second box and the ID plate does say property of the US Army. It has to date back to WW I or early WWII, nothing like anything I ever saw in my military time 63-67

Thank You for your service to our country !!!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

foakes

Some of those parts are likely WWII  vintage --

For example, the "gearbox" assembly appears to be a radio receiver tuner mechanism -- the old tube type with very fine tuning adjustments for various frequencies.

Plywood was widely used prior to WWII -- and during.  These types of plywood boxes held electronic items ranging from radios, transmitters, receivers, cameras -- mostly Signal Corp Army items.

Couple of possibilities come to mind --

Army surplus item adapted into a line retrieval device for stringing wire or antenna arrays -- receiver no longer working, some clever individual just cannibalized the parts -- then adapted a spool and crank.  Note the bent wire on the end of the Dacron line -- that reminds me of a wire hook that electricians use (fish tape) when fishing wire through conduit or walls.  Just used the box from an old receiver that was no longer operable.

Or, after returning stateside -- this Army Surplus item was adapted into a static fishing device -- just run the line out and retrieve it later.  Someone had these items -- and just thought they would make a clever fishing device.

However, I do not think it was used for fishing very successfully -- probably a way to retrieve wires.

Anyway, hard to trace this particular use -- since I believe it is the result of someone's ingenuity -- and not any sort of stand alone patented device.  Just used a few spare items to craft this for a particular usage.

Just my ideas and opinions.  Someone may have some better and more accurate answers.

My Dad was in the Army Signal Corp during WWII -- he has been gone for 31 years now -- but he told me stories of the equipment they used as a forward artillery spotter.  He was in the Pacific Theater from 41-45, and his job was to insert on an island ahead of the landing invasion -- then use code and radio to direct air strikes and naval vessel artillery barrages on certain locations.  Much of his work was behind enemy lines -- or very close to harms way.  He had nightmares most of his life regarding these missions.  Some of the pictures I recall had boxes similar to these.  This was after a US invasion had taken place, and they were relaxing, or getting ready to pack up for the next island on the drive North.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Interesting.  May have been an early navigational aid.  Though I don't think these are the exact same device(s) as found in the listings sincw there is no clear glass present ( that I can tell anyways).
Hope springs eternal