Triton Mag Mark 3

Started by Ynot, December 13, 2010, 10:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynot

Hi all, great site, so far I have had a crack at my Penns and found the instructions great.
Has anyone had a go at a rebuild and upgrade of the Shimano Triton Mag?
Any tips or things that I should look out for?
Thanks

alantani

found this on bloodydecks. 

i don't think i've ever seen one of these in person.  they look like great reels! the trick will be to match up a set of drag washers.  if you can get the dimensions, you can match it up to the drag washer list http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0 or check in with smoothdrag.com here - http://alantani.com/index.php?board=33.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ynot

Thanks Alan, will check that out.
If I come accross any problems I will post them here for others information.

Ynot

Ok, I pulled her apart this afternoon and had a go at a service and a quick size up.
It was very similar to other reels with the drag washers on the side plate as opposed to the large centre drag. I had just done a Penn 320 so I used the same process as listed in that post which was pretty similar.
The only issue apart from the drag washers was (in my opinion) is excessive side play (maybe just under a mm) in the handle/drag assembly.
It has canvas drag washers which I sized at 14mm x 27mmx1.8 mm. These are pretty rough measures as they are fairly worn and ragged.

The side plate was fairly tight to remove and just need a light tap with the back of a rubber screw driver handle.
Most components stay pretty much together in here with the layout Shimano has used so there isn't little springs falling out etc

The drag bearing looks a little dodgy but cleaned up ok and runs alright.

No surprises in there and seemed pretty straight forward.
I had a look at the mag control but wasn't too confident on that one. It looked pretty clean so I gave it a once over and put it back as is.
Once I identify some drag washers I will upgrade the drag and should all be set for some King Fish Jigging!

Ynot

oops, by side play in the handle i meant end play.

alantani

nice.  thanks for the photos!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!