5:1 SS gear set for JigMaster 505/506

Started by Alto Mare, May 04, 2015, 01:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Alan has asked me to check out the 5:1 ss gear set for the 505/506, Jason (fIsHsTiiCkS)  has already tested those and had some good results. I came up with the same results, the gears did great.
Alan also wanted me to check that same gears set on the Newell 200 series, they did very good

Taking some measurements on the new gears, I noticed that they were just a little smaller, but not by much.
These are the new custom gears rom Alan

and the original Newell's

Bryan's 5 stack kit fit these to perfection

the reel did very well on a rolling test and pulling test, I pushed these to around 22lbs.

The custom gear set from Alan is just a little noisier than the Newell gears, but from my previous experience, I know they will quiet down a bit with usage.
These are some nice gears.
Freespool  is nice and drags feel nice and smooth all the way to the top.

This Newell was previously serviced by Newel Nut, it was already nice and smooth, but it is now just a little smoother ;D. I replaced the carbon fiber washer for under the gear with a Delrin.

Any questions...just ask!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

This is great Sal and creates some options.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nice work as always!! I'm glad you got the same results!

Who knew you owned anything that wasn't a Penn  ;)

vilters

very nice reel Sal. those 200 series newells are money. 300/penn 500 size gears/drags in a small package that cast amazingly well, light, and very corrosion resistant.

twotone

Thanks Alan C my order including the 5:1 gear set arrived today (fast shipping Sat to Mon ) and to the QA/QC department.  THX men great job !
twotone

codisking

Wow, so does that mean these gears will for 200, 300, and 400 series Newells?

SoCalAngler

I understand why one may want stainless gears for the jigmasters but what do you think the advantage is for taking the stock stainless gears out of the Newells and replacing them with other stainless gears? Or was this just to see if they fit in case someone needs 200 through 400 gears?

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: codisking on May 21, 2015, 04:54:35 AM
Wow, so does that mean these gears will for 200, 300, and 400 series Newells?

Thats what the gears were originally made for, so yes they do fit them!

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 21, 2015, 07:35:19 AM
I understand why one may want stainless gears for the jigmasters but what do you think the advantage is for taking the stock stainless gears out of the Newells and replacing them with other stainless gears? Or was this just to see if they fit in case someone needs 200 through 400 gears?

The benefit is that now there are replacements available for those gears, as they have long been discontinued. Also, these are 416 heated SS!

SoCalAngler

I see but people were buying the Newell gears to put into their Penn reels, they were not buying them for their Newells. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the gears, testing or anything but many parts and pieces on Newell reels will break or get damaged long before there is a issue with the stock gears.

Could these be used to speed up the slower models? I only have 1 G338-F, 1 G332-F, 1 G229-F and a G220-F so I have only played around with the high speed models.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 21, 2015, 08:09:47 AM
I see but people were buying the Newell gears to put into their Penn reels, they were not buying them for their Newells. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the gears, testing or anything but many parts and pieces on Newell reels will break or get damaged long before there is a issue with the stock gears.

Could these be used to speed up the slower models? I only have 1 G338-F, 1 G332-F, 1 G229-F and a G220-F so I have only played around with the high speed models.

No arguement there, as Newells are very fine reels, the gears and all the guts for that matter are of very great quality. However, I have known a few people that have needed as set from time to time, nothing last forever. I have not personally tried this but in theory yes these can be swapped to speed up the models that came with the slower ratios.

codisking

Are the gears listed somewhere in the"for sale" section? I'm not in need of a set right now, but it would be nice to have a spare set just in case.