Handmade Exotic Wood "Cedar Plugs"

Started by mmayo, May 07, 2015, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

They swim nicely and track a bit better than stock " light " cedar plugs.  To test them out we trolled four lines behind a 28' skipjack.  We got so many hookups that we skipped the outriggers after a few stops.  We trolled two rapalas and two cedar plugs.  The rapalas stayed in their lane and so did the cedar plugs and that was behind a fairly narrow boat compared to most sportboats.  The plugs got bit, but not the rapalas.  My plugs are pretty, better built, last longer and get bit.

By the way, I make real cedar plugs using Eastern red cedar too.  

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

mmayo

American black walnut

Bubinga

Hard rock maple

Wenge

Leopardwood

Bocote

Eastern red cedar

Ziricote

Birds-eye maple

Osage orange

Aiala

Quick testimonial: When it was my turn to troll on a recent 8-day, I put out one of Mark's paduak wood plugs and it was slammed in less than sixty seconds by a fat YFT.

These things are flat-out amazing... get some!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mmayo

mmayo

They swim with less side to side craziness, tangle other anglers less, swim a bit deeper and get bit.  They catch fish, are far sturdier than the hot glue stock ones and just happen to look amazing.

FFisher

Received my set of Cedar Plugs yesterday....

Just Awesome!!!
Cant wait to swim them.
Thank you!!

Can I order some more please?
all 6" rigged
2x Bloodwood
2x Paduak
2x Bubinga
2x Dealers Choice  ;D (crazy wild wood)

thanks again!!!

Frank.....

mmayo

Darin Crofton

Beautiful work! How much for two like the ones you just shipped on the 13th? I want to try them, thank you, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

mmayo

Quote from: Darin Crofton on August 28, 2018, 11:23:09 PM
Beautiful work! How much for two like the ones you just shipped on the 13th? I want to try them, thank you, Darin

Building them tomorrow 8/29. Shipping 8/30

mmayo

I just finished these three 8" plugs. The woods are purpleheart, cocobolo and paduak.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 03, 2016, 11:20:06 AM
Quote from: sdlehr on April 03, 2016, 02:55:06 AM
Joe, Etsy is an on-line shopping site.

Sid

Well that explains it Sid, that's why I don't know that site. Because I'm anti cyber social!  ;D

Joe 

Its also where I buy handgun brass... Jeff

Alto Mare

Beautifully done Mark, I own about a dozen of these from you and I really like them.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

witty1

Got mine in the mail! Beautiful work Mark. Thanks!

mmayo

I just returned from an 8 day on the Star.  We finally trolled and my plugs did as expected - caught fish.  Yellowfin and bluefin bit the plugs well.  The boat asked for and received plugs and a deckhand asked for plugs for his private skiff. A, new to me, deckhand named Jake watched them from the bait tank and commented about their action, nice!

The plugs look like new after days of trolling and show no wear except the occasional earned tooth mark.

Benni3

Not easy to get stuff to swim right this is really fantastic,,,,, ;) great job on that big tuna man,,,,, :o