Handmade Exotic Wood "Cedar Plugs"

Started by mmayo, May 07, 2015, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: mmayo on July 14, 2020, 03:58:50 AM
I just returned from an 8 day on the Star.  We finally trolled and my plugs did as expected - caught fish.  Yellowfin and bluefin bit the plugs well.  The boat asked for and received plugs 

Earned credibility from real witnesses.   

If all stuff produced for sport fishing had to meet this criteria there'd be far less stuff. 

mmayo

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Alto Mare

Excellent craftsmanship, Mark! 👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 30, 2020, 02:01:44 AM
Excellent craftsmanship, Mark! 👍

Sal
I got alot of respect for this man,,,,, ;) he built it and it looks fantastic and works great,,,,, ;D

mmayo

From a recent customer.

" Hi Mark, Yesterday I had the pleasure of opening my mail and WOW I was amazed how wonderful your Cedars Plugs appear in person....photos do not do justice to the wworkmanship and quality that goes into your product....a BIG THANK YOU    ....a true fan of yours, Ron"

fishhead69

Very nice looking plugs. If they catch fish as good as they look then you should have a boat load of fish.

Aiala

Hi, Mark!

Say, assuming there's still time, where might I buy your cedar plugs before the Barking Spiders trip? (I already have one, but wouldn't mind some backups...)

Thanks!  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mmayo

Your wish was granted in zebrawood.

Aiala

Quote from: mmayo on July 28, 2021, 11:52:00 PM
Your wish was granted in zebrawood.

Indeed it was, and many thanks! Maybe next year we can give it a try at Guadalupe...  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mmayo

The hardwood swims deeper. The have similar wiggling to lighter stock red cedar models.

Stock
Red cedar
Hot glue construction
Head and body fashioned separately and hot glued together
Very thin brass end hot glued in place
No finish

Mine
Red cedar or exotic hardwood
Epoxy construction
Head and body turned in a lathe separately, epoxy glued and clamped together and then turned as a unit
Thick wider brass ferrules at the back epoxy glued and clamped in place. There is substantially more wood for strength at the back.
Entire cedar plug is sanded and finished with cyanoacrylic resin and buffed.

They are far more than pretty, but the are indeed very pretty. I've made and sold over 600 to date.