removing seals

Started by wallacewt, December 15, 2010, 05:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

instead of fish hooks to remove seals i use darts.remove the flights and replace with a bolt.gives you a good grip.sharpen point if necessary,and away u go.cheers

Bryan Young

I take an old bicycle spoke and grind to a point with a file.  I'm thinking of adding to a wooden dowel to add some grip area.  Recycling works for me...Hmm, where could I find used darts?  That's a great idea.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

2 bicycle spokes i use for pulling bearings.grind down the collar  on the hub ends,wedge shape,add handle,insert spokes in handle,  1 finger width apart.you can pull the bearing from the inside as well as opposite sides at the same time.little bearings use 1 spoke.photo if u want.cheers  

Sandbar33

I picked up a dental pick kit for about 6 bucks at Pharmacy. It has a very sharp, hooked point and a soft toothbrush like handle.

wallacewt

beat ya sandbar,darts cost$3.00 at toy shop yo hoho.

Keta

I would say a 22lr works well for removing seals (and sealions) but you were referring to the other kind of seal.  I get used dental picks/probes from my dentist that work well to remove the shield/seal from small bearings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Phinaddict

I'm in the dental pick camp too!
$1 a piece at my favorite salvage yard here in Santa Rosa.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Jimmer

The picks don't have barbs like the 4/0 matzuo I buried in my thumb last year!
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

Quote from: Phinaddict on December 16, 2010, 02:23:54 AM
I'm in the dental pick camp too!
$1 a piece at my favorite salvage yard here in Santa Rosa.
Where is that salvage yard?  May make it up there while on my way to Napa.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Ask your dentist or dental hygienist what they do with their old, worn-out picks not suitable for their work. Often they give them away to the first person that asks. My hygienist said her patients that are gun and reel cleaners usually pick them [no pun!] up on a regular basis.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

Hey Bryan,
here is the place... its always interesting....all kinds of crazy stuff.

http://www.bataeffsalvage.com/services.nxg

Bataeff Salvage

244 Mountain View Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
(707) 584-8401
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Bryan Young

Mahalos Phinaddict.

Mahalos Rob.  My dentist is right down the street from Alan's.  I'll go there the next time I'm at his house.

alantani

bryan, actually, a dentist down in santa monica send a bunch of great dental tools.  next time your over, grab a couple.  i'll never wear out the ones that i already picked out.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ynot

Hi all, years ago when working in a workshop I bought a Snapon pick set for about ten bucks.
The one on the right is perfect as it has a twist sort of end to it.
There was also a right angle pick but I have lost it along the way.
I would assume they still sell these and are great for numerous jobs.

kamuwela

no dental recycling yards in hawaii lol might have to fly to california to get me a set.