Subject for Fred

Started by handi2, May 10, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hello Fred,

Do you have a levelwind pawl for this old Pflueger Akron No. 1893 reel?

Thanks,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Hi Keith --

Went down to the Bat Cave, where the really old stuff is kept -- found a few Pflueger repair kits -- one is for an Akron.

There are New Old Stock parts in the box from possibly around the 30's?

Anyway, there are new Pawls also -- do not know if they are correct -- but I suspect they are, since I have not touched these boxes in over 40 years -- and they were already 40 years old when I acquired them.

Appears these Pawls are called half nuts -- and the cup that holds them is a half nut retainer.

If you think you can use anything here -- just let me know, and I will send it out tomorrow.

N/C.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theluckpusher

;D Very Kwel old reel!!!!!!!! ::) :-* :'(
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

handi2

Fred everything you have shown looks correct for this reel. He has given me 3 of them to clean up and I do know I will need one pawl and one handle. I will surely let you know. Your stock is amazing..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Great, Keith --

Just make a laundry list of what you think you need -- and I will send you everything at once for all 3.

There is a good handle (NOS) -- but not as nice as the engraving on yours -- but when you let me know what you need, I will search through my old baitcaster handles.  Probably have a couple of hundred old handles -- some are in pretty good shape.  I just strip old reels down when no longer useful -- and sort the parts into basic categories.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Wow Fred what don't you have around?  I was just thinkimg how difficult it can be to find parts for some of the older/smaller reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

Yes, you are right, John -- it is very difficult to find some of the old parts.

But quite frankly, once in a while -- luck makes us all look good. 

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

coastal_dan

Way to go Fred on coming through!  You have quite the collection, neat to see the parts all dis-assembled in the box.  Was that from the factory?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

Yes, Dan --

That is what the factory provided to dealers and repair shops in the old days.

There is likely more steel just in the metal Pfleuger parts box -- then in 100 new fancy plastic Asian reels from Walmart or Big 5.

Most of the manufacturers provided support to the repair guys, hardware stores, and dealers -- in the day.

This was before "planned obsolescence" was a corporate strategy to increase profits and stock values.

Many of the early reel repairmen would put together their own kits -- but the factory gave good support to them.

Some of the manufacturers were Pfleuger, Shakespeare, Inglis (Canadian Shakespeare), Langley, Bronson, Mitchell, Zebco, Johnson, Abu, Ocean City, Penn, South Bend, DAM Quick, Alcedo, and many others.

One set of three large boxes I have contains over 100 pounds of Shakespeare parts -- LWs, worms, frames, posts, stands, gears, and more gears.  All NOS -- and steel, bronze, brass & German Silver.

My outlook is a little different than some folks -- since I will likely never or very seldom use these -- I just try to help other folks if they have a need for their own projects.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on May 10, 2015, 06:09:06 PM
Hello Fred,

Do you have a levelwind pawl for this old Pflueger Akron No. 1893 reel?
Thanks,
Keith

wow.. nice nice.

I have the exact same reel (same model number too) on my office shelf, it is in almost perfect condition, I have it along with another old small reel, bronson "the green Hornet" No. 2200.

the flueger after a good clean up it shines like it was made of sterling silver..

Alex
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

It never ceases to amaze me how well the old reels are made and some of the older firearms too. especially the craftsmanship.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Fred - wow and wow...so darn cool.  Glad you have this and shared the pictures.  

Kind of reminds me of this very cool illustration with some of you "parts fanatics".

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tunacious

Just amazing...absolutely amazing! Your collection of fishing reel parts and their quality is staggering...I say you should make it into a Fishing Reel History Museum!

bestout

WOW nice neat and very organize Fred.
The monsters in my head are scared......

whalebreath

Very impressive-humbling too-Thanks for posting!