Subject for Fred

Started by handi2, May 10, 2015, 06:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Wow Fred amazing What don't you have.

Penn Chronology

Well Fred, as usual, your old stock has amazed me again, but, this time I felt I had to spread the word somewhat. I have posted a link of this thread on the ORCA Reel Talk forum,

http://orca-online.org/reel-talk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16780

Mic

Fred,
You are Amazing~!

I am amazed and just rocked. What a collection. You Sir are the ultimate! Great show!

My dad gave me an old Pflueger Oceanic reel a few years ago and a couple of old octagon shaped standup wooden rod that have glass eyes steel wired to the rod to fix up. I told him I was about 86% scared of what I was going to find inside there and would never find the parts to repair it.
There is a bit of handle slop, but other than that the reel works.

The stand is stamped 300

Would you have any parts for this if I stopped being scared and opened it up ?

Mic

mike1010

Nice looking reel.  No parts here, though.

foakes

Nice old reels, Mic --

Don't be afraid to open it up --

There is not much to the insides -- and you likely will not need any parts -- no drag, straight gears, simple and straightforward.

However, here is the deal:

Take care when disassembling -- use the proper size hollow ground screwdrivers -- slightly tighten the screw before easing it out -- keep plenty of downward pressure on the screws, as you ease them out. 

Soak everything in Mineral Spirits for a day or two.  This will soften and allow the old hard grease inside and out to slip off easily.

Do not soak the hard rubber sideplates -- as they will soak up the solution and not fit when reassembling -- use Dawn or Ivory dish soap on these and a brush.  When dry completely, use Never-Dull to finish.

The metal parts will scratch easily -- most of these are old German Silver -- so use Never-Dull on them also.  Take your time -- you cannot replace those old screws except with another donor reel.

Do not over-tighten the screws when reassembling -- just snug -- not torqued down -- or you may crack the old sideplates.

Grease and oil -- then it will be good to go.

I have a lot of these -- and they make good displays or wall hangers on an old split bamboo rod.

Good Luck -- and show us when you are done.

You don't have to do it this way -- that is just my method on these old soldiers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Fred, Your willingness to help others and your collection of vintage reels and parts is amazing, but let me say what impresses me most is your organization.  I'm a lunatic with order (touch of OCD)
but you make me look normal.  Just awesome!
Thanks for helping out sharing photos and knowledge,
Dom

joel8080

X2

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Mic

Thanks Fred,
I'll get me a set of hollow ground screwdrivers and go at it. I've been meaning to get me a set for sometime now as I have a 1960's 30-30 Winchester I want to take a crack at overhauling. What could possibly go wrong ?

I can tell the left side has not been opened as those screws are clean with no nicks. The right side has been opened. Yeah, the drag on that reel is surely not found on the inside. I'll bet that leather pad sure got hot when a big fish was hooked up!

Your gonna have to be a little more informative on the Never-Dull. Is that a rubbing compound ?

I understand the soaking of rubber parts. I rebuild a carburetor on a out board motor and just dropped it in a parts bath for two days before taking it apart. Learned that lesson really hard!

I expect this reel and old rod will find it's way on the wall in my office. It would be real cool knowing it could go to work if needed!

Thanks again for your in site and knowledge!

Mic

foakes

Hi Mic --

Ted told us about Never-Dull -- and he was right.  

You should see how his reels turn out -- fantastic.  And he sez this is nearly all he uses even on the interior parts.

Been around for a long time -- available at nearly any auto parts store.

Very inexpensive ($6-$8), gentle, works extremely well on any type of material such as metals, rubber, plastic, bakelite, etc.

I think it is some sort of a solvent and fine rubbing compound mixed together and applied to a roll of soft wadding cotton cloth.  You just tear off what you need, use a little elbow grease -- then wipe clean to a sheen with a soft cloth.  Really works wonders on tarnish and rust.

I did notice the goobered screws on the head side -- but this isn't a museum quality piece -- and since it belonged to your Dad -- it just shows that someone lubed it from time to time.  Adds to the story and memories, perhaps.

For what you are doing, you don't need to buy a super expensive set of hollow ground screwdrivers.  You could just buy a decent set on sale at Sears -- of just the 1/4" tips.  Stay away from Harbor Freight or even the major hardware chains -- since most of their stuff is all the same -- poor quality, too soft, bad fit, imported.

Or even some of the Chapman, S&W, and Grizzly sets are very good bargains on line.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mic

I am officially on the hunt~!

Thanks Fred, I'll post some photos when I get it completed.

I got a buddy that does wood work and he said he can seal the old rod without tearing it up. I might just leave it be and just hang it on the wall as is with all it story spots.

Talk to ya later,

Mic

Reel 224

Cleaned up my Pflueger Capital with the Nevrdull and it did a nice job. I was going to fish that reel but since have decided to retire it to my office desk.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

Fred I have been super busy servicing reels. I'll get a short list tomorrow and let you know. I always know you are the man to go to for any old reels. Your shop is amazing..!!

If you can into mine you would have a heart attack.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL