Torium 20

Started by AJ, December 15, 2010, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

I am getting less the 15 secs. of free spool on my Malaysian made Torium 20 (after replacing both spool bearings).  This is up about 5 secs. over the old bearings.  Is this all you can get from this reel?

kamuwela

im not exactly sure but i would think it would be at least double that. is the spool full with line?

Bryan Young

Agree with Kamu regarding spooled vs. unspooled reel free spool times.  It also depends on spectra vs. mono.  Spectra is more dense and heavier, and once the enertia is going, physics takes over.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

gotta clean the bearings first, then lube them.  also gotta clean out and lube the pinion gear.  you should be getting 30-45 seconds easily. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJ

The spool is full of 30# mono and I have cleaned everything twice!

kamuwela

is the drag backed all the way off? can you check with another same kind of reel? are the belleville washers in proplerly? sounds like not enough side play while in free spool. you can pollish the pinoin shaft, that will definatly give you more free spool time.

alantani

the thing to do is to remove the right side plate and the pinion gear.  now give the spool a spin.  you are now testing just the right and left spool bearings.    ok, let's say you get 45 seconds.  now add the right side plate without the guts.  you are now testing the two spool bearings and the right side plate bearing.   bearings may be good but you will find a bent spool shaft at this point.  now add the gear cluster.  you have just added the friction from the pinion gear.  did it slow down alot?  well then, you found your friction point.  you may have to polish out the insde of the pinion gear or you may have a bent spool shaft that is rubbing.  this means a new spool or having to take the old spool to a machine shop.  straightening out the shaft would be a near impossibility for me. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJ

Thanks for all the suggestions.  With rain in the forecast it looks like this weekend is the perfect time.