Spool Rubbing On Inner Stainless Ring

Started by codisking, May 14, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codisking

So I just completed puting a new Tib frame on my S235-5 and was feeling very proud of myself. I had even cleaned all of the internals and installed new CF's with some of Cal's grease. I put everything back together, put the reel on the rod I normally use it with, and decided to give the new drag a test run. Needless to say, as the title to this post relays, it was not as smooth as I would have hoped. As I inspected, I could see the gap between the front of the spool and the inside of the stainless ring open and close as I applied drag pressure.

My question is, what could cause this to happen. Additionally, I don't ever recal having this problem before, or at least never noticed it. The spool is the original graphite one. Could changing to an aluminum spool do away with this problem? Could it be that my screws are not tight enough somewhere?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Chris

Newell Nut

What you did was totally disassemble the reel which Carl Newell instructions say not to do. You messed with the alignment that was set on the left side.  When you install the Tib frame you should do as I explained in a recent tutorial. When installing the inner rings install all screws including the side plate screws. This will get the inner rings squared up properly. During this process you may suddenly find that some of the screws will not go in. This is where you tweak the holes slightly with a mini round file that you can buy in a set at ACE for $10. Do not run a drill through the holes and ruin the rings. Be patient with the  mini round file to get all the holes tweaked so that all screws fit the Tib frame. Now tighten all the fillister head screws. Remove the side plate screws. Now install the side plates and you should be okay.

codisking

I did as you instructed and the reel pulls MUCH smoother now. There is still a slight delay at start up when the drag is socked all the way down, but it's just a three+1 stack so I think that might be the nature of the beast. And honestly, I try not to fish with the drag buttoned all the way down if I can help it.

Thanks for the help Newell Nut. You got me smoothed out.

Newell Nut

Glad it worked out for you. If you have to button a drag down to fish you need a bigger reel anyway. Bryan's 5 stack will smooth it out some more on the start up. Make sure you use Cals on the cfs.

codisking

I've been curious about that. What does it consist of? Is it the same fiber washers with thinner stainless washers, or is it all slimmed down?

Newell Nut

The stainless washers and CFs are thinner so you have a 5 stack instead of a 3 stack.

codisking

I fished with this reel today without any issue. The three-stack greased CF drag worked fine for the rockfish and lingcod, and for the minimal casting I have to do it worked perfectly. Though, I think it might be time to replace the bearings this coming winter. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also put one of Alan's two-position handles with a 3/0 grip on it, along with a stainless steel drag star from Adam. This little 235 is a pretty solid little reel now. Thanks again Newell Nut for the alignment tips.