Revo SX H Handle

Started by jaypeegee, May 12, 2015, 07:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

I have one of the above that has given me issues since purchased second hand.
I took it apart to see what gives and noticed two things.
The grease previously used on it had dried up into a gum like substance. Very grim
Second, The small pig metal kick lever that takes the reel out of free spool had crumbled on the top corner.
So I will order a new kick lever from ereplacement most likely as sourcing in NZ will be costly and difficult based on what I have seen.

My question however is this:

I have a counter balanced handle knob on this I believe from a Penn Defiant if memory serves. It feels nice to use but is heavy so a hard cast can trigger the kick lever and also the balance is a bit poopy as you can imagine.
The replacement kick lever is ~3 or 4 USD and shipping will add a bunch to that so I figure I should get a power handle for say a NACL 50 at the same time and strap it on the SX
However, I am guessing that it fits and don't have one to compare it against.

Can anyone here confirm if the NACL power handle will fit the Revo SX?
Or alternately, If not, can a suggestion be made that will suit my needs - Low cost, Light weight and fit the Revo ( and ideally an Abu part so I can tag it onto my order from ereplacement)

Cheers guys

mahfudzmn

If your Revo SX has a straight star drag knob, it MAY not fit because of the bent profile of the handle.

I have used the NACL 50 power handle (those are really sweet) on my Kalex 50 and my 6600 C4, I also own a Revo Toro NaCl btw. The shaft will fit the handles of pretty much all ABU reels, just have to be cautious with straight vs bent star drag knob.

Here's one of the NaCL handle on a C4:

jaypeegee

Hi

Appreciate the reply

Yes, The curve / star profile is my concern.
Unfortunately I don't have access to an NACL to check. I may see if I can find an alternative that is straight and doesn't have the curve

Mikes Reel Repair in Canada makes a couple different styles of Abu handles, both straight, one is counter balanced.

mahfudzmn

Quote from: jaypeegee on June 18, 2015, 08:51:41 PM
Hi

Appreciate the reply

Yes, The curve / star profile is my concern.
Unfortunately I don't have access to an NACL to check. I may see if I can find an alternative that is straight and doesn't have the curve

If your SX has straight star drag, then it may not fit (i.e. it doesn't fit on my 1st Gen Black Max, but fits my 6600 C4)

If your SX has bent star drag, it'll fit for sure

Steve-O

That Salt handle looks mighty good on your blue C4. I have one stored at the lodge in Alaska where I fish each year and might do the same and bring a power handle with me for it. Would be great for jigging up rockfish off the kayak.

I just put a counter balanced power handle on my Orra 2 Inshore. Works great. And then moved the Inshore handle over to my Orra SX. Both have curved star knobs and bent handles so the swap was easy peasy.

Need to get a Revo Salt for the bigger fishies! ;D

PS- my power handle came from S. Korea...via fleabay. $24 USD w/ free shipping. Got it in a week. Best deal around, IMO.

mahfudzmn

Hey I like that counter-balanced handle Steve, looks great on the reel!

I've the Revo Toro NaCL which comes with a clicker, man what a sweet reel. Been pulling in 40-80 lbs Mekong catfish with that Revo and the clicker makes a 'baitrunner' out of it when fishing with doughbaits. It's a very versatile reel. Recently caught small 10-12 lbs GT too with that reel when casting around Jarak Island in Malacca Straits

jaypeegee

Agreed, That counterbalanced handle is sweet.
I would love to have the NACL 50 maybe 60. Be good for a couple of applications incl top water stick throwing
Bank doesn't agree with me however.

I haven't checked if the star is straight on my Revo yet. If it is, what chance is there I could replace this with a bent star off another Abu reel?
If I chose a model with similar specs then compared part numbers I might get close... What else would I need to consider. I wonder...

jaypeegee

Well. I've emailed ereplacement to see if the later gen SX-HS star will be compatible
The site indicates that they will fit
I guess its down to clearance then

jaypeegee

Got my Abu Bits

I got the bent star thinking I would need it. It looks like I don't. The NACL handle fits with no star hindrance . I will have a good test later this week
Damn the NACL handle is tiny and so cool looking.

Shout out to ereplacements service. 10/10 will buy from again...

johndtuttle

Quote from: jaypeegee on July 20, 2015, 10:55:54 PM
Got my Abu Bits

I got the bent star thinking I would need it. It looks like I don't. The NACL handle fits with no star hindrance . I will have a good test later this week
Damn the NACL handle is tiny and so cool looking.

Shout out to ereplacements service. 10/10 will buy from again...

Stoked for you Jay! Keep us posted.  ;)

jaypeegee

I'm stoked too JT. I'm gonna go out for a fish after I put my son to bed but will try the handle on my Akios 666  I figure that will benefit from a pwr handle and this will be light enough to give a try.
.I still need to gut the revo and replace the kicklever before I give that a crack.

steelfish

that little orra sx looks pretty good with a power handle Steve-o
The Baja Guy