tyrnos 10 or 10(2)

Started by billf250, December 16, 2010, 03:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billf250

Trying to figure out the difference between the tyrnos 10 and the 10(2). Going to use the reel for plug casting for tarpon and snook on the west coast of florida. There is a $40 difference, is it worth it?

Bryan Young

Tyrnos 10 for $100 is single speed.  Tyrnos 10 II for $140 is a 2 speed reel.

2 speed reels are great if you have to hunker down and drag that fish in slow and smooth.  If you are going to use only for casting plugs, single speed, but if you are planning to use for other uses where fish tend to dive deep and hold, get the 2 speed.  Note, because you have extra gear and components, the 2 speed is slightly heaver.

IMHO, the Tyrnos 10 may be a bit heavy for casting plugs all day long.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

when in doubt, spend more money.  the economy is depending on you! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

billf250

:-[ Thanks for the info, I was somehow under the impression that both were two speed reels. I'll be  getting the tyrnos 10 II, might try for shallow water grouper also. Any thoughts on maintance before and after putting into service?  As a result of finding your website I've now been rebuilding penn reels as a hobby/obcessiom.

Bryan Young

Just do the standard "AT servicings" would be sufficient.  Note that they had problems with a batch of drag washers http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1083.0.  If you find this, Shimano will fix it under warrentee, no questions asked.

It's a fairly simple reel to work on.  Just lay things out as they come off to make it easier to put back together.  Sorry, I meant to do a write up on a single speed, but haven't had the chance yet.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

EL JEFE

Quote from: BryanYoung on December 16, 2010, 04:50:22 AM
Tyrnos 10 for $100 is single speed.  Tyrnos 10 II for $140 is a 2 speed reel.

Hey Bryan-
Just wondering where one can find the Tyrnos 10 II for $140?  I saw them at Big 5 for $199. but can't find at $140.  The 8 2 speed is $179.  Also, would this be a good So. Cal Yellowtail reel?  Also, how does it compare to the Avet 2 speeds, using price to also compare?

I typically like to use single speeds for most of my So. Cal fishing. Just wonderng if the 2 speed is overkill?
Thanks!

Bryan Young

cfarmd

how well do you think the drags will hold up against school mahi and maybe some larger pelagics? I purchased a couple from J&H and they are smaller than I expected to be honest. But...they generate 18 lbs of drag and can hold over 500 yds of 30lb spectra. That's better numbers than the TLD 25. Just a little concerned that I may be stretching the load limit of these reels. Thanks for any advice!

Bryan Young

These reels can be set-up for mono or spectra by changing the cams as an option.  The cam that comes in the reel is set-up for spectra.  I would probably fill the reel with 50# spectra with a 30# top shot and it will do just fine.  You could possibly fill with 65# spectra and 30-40# top shot as well. 

Just make sure that you go through the reel, and make sure your drag washer is not coming apart, and grease well with Cal's or Shimano drag grease, then wipe off excess.

Note, solid aluminum frame, stainless reinforced graphite sideplates.  It will hold up just fine for schoolie mahimahi and other pelagics.

cfarmd

Quote from: BryanYoung on December 22, 2010, 04:57:23 AM
These reels can be set-up for mono or spectra by changing the cams as an option.  The cam that comes in the reel is set-up for spectra.  I would probably fill the reel with 50# spectra with a 30# top shot and it will do just fine.  You could possibly fill with 65# spectra and 30-40# top shot as well. 

Just make sure that you go through the reel, and make sure your drag washer is not coming apart, and grease well with Cal's or Shimano drag grease, then wipe off excess.

Note, solid aluminum frame, stainless reinforced graphite sideplates.  It will hold up just fine for schoolie mahimahi and other pelagics.

good idea, a yearly breakdown, maintenance check, and cleaning would insure everything is still in good working order. I do that with all my reels so no real hassle with that.

Just out of curiosity, how would you say the tyrnos 10 compares to the TLD 25? obviously spool size, but component wise it seems to me that the tyrnos is a little beefier. I have the option of acquiring a few TLD 25s at a good price, and wanted to know if they are better for nearshore/offshore trolling. Again its probably apples and oranges but I'm trying to get a better understanding. The 10 is small in regards to spool size (which is fixed with braid) and drag space (the size of the drag washer), does that have a significant impact on performance (ie handling long runs and long fights)? Thanks

Bryan Young

Quote from: EL JEFE on December 20, 2010, 11:56:19 PM
Quote from: BryanYoung on December 16, 2010, 04:50:22 AM
Tyrnos 10 for $100 is single speed.  Tyrnos 10 II for $140 is a 2 speed reel.

Hey Bryan-
Just wondering where one can find the Tyrnos 10 II for $140?  I saw them at Big 5 for $199. but can't find at $140.  The 8 2 speed is $179.  Also, would this be a good So. Cal Yellowtail reel?  Also, how does it compare to the Avet 2 speeds, using price to also compare?

I typically like to use single speeds for most of my So. Cal fishing. Just wonderng if the 2 speed is overkill?
Thanks!
Hi El Jefe,

Depending on the type of fishing you will do, 2-speed rels could be overkill.  If you are planning to take a long-range trip, 2-speeds may become an plus esp. when fish are strait down and will not move.  The lower gear will allow you to smoothly winch in the fish, slowly and surely where if you are using a high gear ratio single speed reel, you may not have the leverage to bring that fish up.

Avets are great feels.  I believe that when they were designed, the intended line was mono.  Spectra is now the line of choice, and we are using higher line tests on smaller reels.  What that means is that reels designed for use with 20# test, we are not loading up wiht  65# spectra.  I think you can interupt the rest...

alantani

the tld 25 is a good reel for 450 yards straight 60# mono and 15 to 18 pounds of drag.  that is, AFTER you hot rod it.  the handle grip on this reel is so small it borders on criminal.  the tyrnos 10 would be a good reel for 400 yards of straight 65 pound spectra.  hotrodded, this reel should deliver an easy 18 pounds of drag as well.  spectra is 5 times stronger than mono.  that's what makes the tld 25 and tyrnos 10 two speed equals!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cfarmd

Quote from: alantani on December 22, 2010, 09:07:37 PM
the tld 25 is a good reel for 450 yards straight 60# mono and 15 to 18 pounds of drag.  that is, AFTER you hot rod it.  the handle grip on this reel is so small it borders on criminal.  the tyrnos 10 would be a good reel for 400 yards of straight 65 pound spectra.  hotrodded, this reel should deliver an easy 18 pounds of drag as well.  spectra is 5 times stronger than mono.  that's what makes the tld 25 and tyrnos 10 two speed equals!
[/b]

that's what I wanted to know! and yes, I agree on the TLD 25 handles and have already upgraded all of mine with your TLD handles, which makes a night and day difference.