Picked up a penn 722z

Started by Socal399, May 05, 2015, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Socal399

I was walking around my local swap meet today. And ended up see this reel for sale. Guy was selling it for 10 bucks but ended up selling it to me for 5 bucks. Seems  like it's a little stiff when turning the handle as well as the handle knob is missing. But overall seemed like a good deal.doesnt look to have any rust or corrosion. And for 5 bucks I thought what the hell I'll buy it and try to maintence and rebuilt it. Maybe end up using it for fishing the surf! What do u think? Was this a good deal? And also Do u guys have any tips for rebuilding these? Or where is a good place to look for parts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time guys! Here's some pics

handi2

Very nice all metal reels. Very simple to work on. Check Scott's Bait and Tackle for parts. www.penparts.com
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fsrmn

You got a good deal! I use my 712z, that I traded Sal a 710z for, for snook and redfish. The 722 should be a good surf rod.They are built tough and easy to service. The knob for the handle is sold separately at mysticparts.com (61-720Z Handle Knob (for Black/Gold) $1.95 ). Just change the thrust washer out for a delrin and switch the drags to cf and you'll be ready to go. The only down side is that you can't turn the clicker off, and make sure the spool is in top position for further casts.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

johndtuttle

Use any of the Z tutorials in the spinning section to get an idea of whats under the hood.

Stiffness might just be old grease that hasn't been changed in 30 years or a seized pinon bearing. All easy fixes.

If Scott's B/T doesn't have the part ebay or a member here does.

This is the post you want, done by Sal:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2180.0

Aiala

Five bucks? That's a great deal! With a handful of exceptions, Scott's has pretty much everything you might need/want:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn722Z.aspx

Fix it up and please let us see the results... with fish!  :D

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Socal399

Thanks everyone! I spent  his afternoon tearing it down cleaning it up and re luring and greasing the reel!the post and write up by Sal was a huge help! Got it all back together and it works great. There was a lot of old grease and some of it was like bubble gum. But all in all it's super smooth and can't want to replace the handle and hit the surf with it! So my only real question is before I order the replacement handle and carbon fiber washers. Is there any type of handle upgrade I can get for it instead? Not really a fan of that plastic knob. And also should i even try spooling it with braid or should I stick with mono?

Marcq

Quote from: Socal399 on May 06, 2015, 03:27:28 AM
Thanks everyone! I spent  his afternoon tearing it down cleaning it up and re luring and greasing the reel!the post and write up by Sal was a huge help! Got it all back together and it works great. There was a lot of old grease and some of it was like bubble gum. But all in all it's super smooth and can't want to replace the handle and hit the surf with it! So my only real question is before I order the replacement handle and carbon fiber washers. Is there any type of handle upgrade I can get for it instead? Not really a fan of that plastic knob. And also should i even try spooling it with braid or should I stick with mono?
I would stick with mono and your handle is fine just need a knob

Marc..

fsrmn

Mono seems to work best on older reels for some reason. Braid tends to twist and knot on occasion. It looks like you might need a shaft and a knob to replace the screw and nuts  ::) you have now. I think Scotts sells a kit for them.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

johndtuttle

Stick with mono.

The line roller and line lay mechanism are for mono. It wont like braid.

FatTuna

These things were meant to last a lifetime. $5 was a steal for that. I had one that was stiff to turn, all it need was to be completely disassembled and cleaned. It works like new now.

foakes

Scotts has the factory black crank knob for this reel for $2 -- has the knob screw also.

That is a little larger than generally comes on these size reels -- so it will work well on a 722.

You can put a larger knob on these cranks -- but it is not needed with this size reel -- the crank arm can easily be over-stressed and end up bending or breaking either in the middle -- or at the very tip where the knob attaches.

These are discontinued knobs -- but Scott's still has some with a limit of 2.

If this is the route you decide to go -- and you can't find a knob -- I do have some if you get stuck.

But Scott's or Southwestern in Dallas, are your best bets.

Great little bulletproof reels.

Only thing I never cared for on these, was the stick on foil around the rotor cup -- it comes off fairly often.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.