fish talk and other scuttlebutt

Started by Tom McKinney, May 19, 2015, 05:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

Now that my wife says that officially I can go on this trip I wanted to start a thread to yak about it since it will be all I can think about.  I wonder how many jugmasters will be too many? And how can i skip my modern reels?  Lots of decisions

I live in san diego so let me know if any y'all  need  logistic help.  Might also have a bunk on my boat available right next to the landing

alantani

tom, welcome!  i'll get the new roster straight here in a bit.  we lost bill karr because he needs a new hip, but we picked up you and mike ludovico.  remember, dinner at miguel's cochina on sunday night!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Four weeks until our first morning fishing!  :D

Meantime, it gets increasingly difficult to concentrate on anything else during this last month...  ::)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Quote from: Aiala on May 19, 2015, 01:52:47 PM

Meantime, it gets increasingly difficult to concentrate on anything else during this last month...  ::)

~A~

Rub it in!   Have a safe and productive trip.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Quote from: Aiala on May 19, 2015, 01:52:47 PM

~A~

Aiala!!!

PLease consider joining us on Friday in Morro Bay - at least you can concentrate on what we all enjoy...  FISHING!!!!!

Use Friday's fishing outing as a primer, your shakedown cruise - for your LR trip in a month!!!!

San Diego LR fishing is on my list, I just need to get past trying to sleeping on a rocking & pitching boat - but that's my issue.

Hope to see you on Friday.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Aiala

Wayne, I really wish I could join y'all, but it's simply not in the cards. Not only do I have a house guest flying in from Orlando tonight, but also my VERY elderly dad turns 100 next week, and what with preps and all I am completely slammed. As it is, I've had to plan all year to reserve myself those five days for the SOA... but oh man, I can't wait!  ;D

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Keta on May 19, 2015, 02:08:16 PM
Rub it in! Have a safe and productive trip.

Thanks, Lee... and I'm counting on you for next year!  :)

~A~

sundaytrucka

Glad you are aboard Tom.

What gear/setups do you plan on bringing?

I love how Alan says we do not need to bring that much, I do not plan on bringing more than is realistically necessary, but we are on his website for a reason...so I say that limiting ourselves in the rod and reel department might be impossible. Lol

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Tom McKinney

Not sure which reels and rods but the wieght/ style is likely to be:

15lb bait x1
20 lb x2
30 lb x2
40 lb bait
40 lb surface iron
40 lb yo yo
50 lb withb8lb spectra on a 2 speed that can handle more
80 lb trolling rig, for night dropper loop or a wide open tlbite where they are biting anything and we need to bounce em over the rail

The surface iron will be all mono.  The  the other 40lb set ups are spectra with a short floro or mono.  The 30lb will be momo on jigmasters.  The 20lb will be on mono and one  spectra with short tops. Probably will have 3 8ft aticks and  4 7ft and 1 ahorty for troll set up

alantani

yup, 8 rigs, but maybe two 30's and two 40's. 

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Tom McKinney on May 19, 2015, 09:59:30 PM
Not sure which reels and rods but the wieght/ style is likely to be:

15lb bait x1
20 lb x2
30 lb x2
40 lb bait
40 lb surface iron
40 lb yo yo
50 lb withb8lb spectra on a 2 speed that can handle more
80 lb trolling rig, for night dropper loop or a wide open tlbite where they are biting anything and we need to bounce em over the rail

The surface iron will be all mono.  The  the other 40lb set ups are spectra with a short floro or mono.  The 30lb will be momo on jigmasters.  The 20lb will be on mono and one  spectra with short tops. Probably will have 3 8ft aticks and  4 7ft and 1 ahorty for troll set up

Should be a good set for our expected fishing.

I am bringing a very similar quiver, a few rods I have can fish a couple different line classes, just change out the fluorocarbon topshot for the appropriate situation/bite.

15# Bait/Plastics (Lamiglas IC76H)
20-25# Bait (Seeker 270H-8)
25-30# Bait (Seeker 670)
30-40# Bait (Calstar 700M)
40-50# Bait/Jig (All Star 670H) Also the rod I would use for throwing jigs to wahoo...fingers crossed.
40# Surface Iron (Calstar 900M)
60# Yo-Yo/Dropper Loop (Calstar 765ML, All Roller Guides)
80# Trolling/Dropper Loop (Friends Penn International 50.)

I am too ready, cannot wait!!!
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Tom McKinney

Okay.  I think i have the list.

60 lb plus.  Penn 113h accurate YTS with stnlss steel gear sleeve 100lb spectra on seeker rod rated 60 to 100

50 lb. Avet lx 2 spd. Spectra.   Seeker pinhead. Can switch the floro tip to 30, 40 or 60 lb if bait on spectra

40lb yo yo. Daiwa 40ha, 80lb spectra.  graftec 30-40
40lb surface. Daiwa 40a. 40lb mono. Seeker stealth 8ft
40lb bait. Daiwa 300h.  40 lb mono. 7 ft brown bait stick. Sometimes spectra is contra indicated in a bait bite.  Can also be a back up jig stick.

30 lb surface . Lexa 400. 65lb spectra. Californian 8ft jig stick.
30lb. Penn 500.  Ugly stick

20lb penn 100
20lb avet sx aingle speed

And a sabikl pole with a long beach  60 on 20lb.

If we ever fish lighter i would simply put 6 ft of light floro on the lexa and switch rods.

My guess is that at Cedros my go  to will be the  lexa 400.  I really havent fished for calicos that much.  But we may have a lot of chances.  And this can handle the suprise yellow or wsb.

alantani

we're going to have to make extra room on the side of the boat for all of these rods!  ;D

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2015, 05:44:16 PM
We're going to have to make extra room on the side of the boat for all of these rods!  ;D

Boss, are there any rod holders up on the SOA's sun deck? On Royal Star I keep many of my outfits topside... it's a little less handy, but on balance I don't mind.)  :)

~A~

alantani

there are, but i generally do not want people up and down those steep narrow stairs with a rod in hand.  it's bad enough with two hands. there is plenty of rod storage on the main deck.