fish talk and other scuttlebutt

Started by Tom McKinney, May 19, 2015, 05:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

if you guys want 10 rods per person, we can do that as well, but i've found that 8 is usually enough. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

Yep, 6 conventionals, 4 spinners...

alantani

any jig sticks in the mix that are 9 feet or more?

sundaytrucka

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2015, 08:02:09 PM

I have one jig stick, 9 feet.

Hey Alan, will we be doing much trolling on this trip? Will you have loaner gear for trolling, or will the boats trolling gear be recommended? If room is an issue I can leave the trolling setup at home, saves me from lugging around a 50 international as well.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

no trolling.  we will be running at night. if needed, the boat has trolling gear. 

Tom McKinney

Just saw Alan's post about 8 rods so I will bring it down to 8.

Can we get a special dispensation for a sabiki rod.  (e.g 8+ sabaki)?

Porthos

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2015, 08:02:09 PM

Nope, 7' max just like last year.

alantani

honestly, bring anything you want.  for a sabiki rod, though, i've always used a heavier rig with 8, 10 or 12 ounces,  if you get a bunch of macks on the hook, it's easy for them to tangle up on the guy next to you it you are running a light weight.

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2015, 07:50:46 PM
There are, but I generally do not want people up and down those steep narrow stairs with a rod in hand. It's bad enough with two hands.

Oh, I would never attempt it, Boss. (I didn't reach this hoary age by being recklessly stupid! :-\ ) But we're allowed to (carefully) hand a rod down to some obliging soul, aren't we?  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

of course, but there should be plenty of room along the sides of the boat. 

sundaytrucka

Hey Tom, just realized you are the person I sold a Tiburon 113H frame to, how did that work out for you?  Is the Tib frame on the 113H you are bringing along on the trip?
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Tom McKinney

Frame is great but my gears are giving me fits. They are parts reels kluged together so the pinion and gear vibrate a lot.  I'm bringing a YTS that I sand blasted and recoated with one of the firearm bake on flat finishes.  Did the side plates too.  looks pretty good for a first attempt.

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2015, 07:50:46 PM
there are, but i generally do not want people up and down those steep narrow stairs with a rod in hand.  it's bad enough with two hands. there is plenty of rod storage on the main deck. 
Yeah, especially in high heels.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! I want to go so bad...I used 3 set ups last year and brought 7 ... My 7' Seeker 30# with a JX single speed was a killer and 2 HX 5/2 were a bit overkill & we don't even want to mention the tackle box full of stuff that will take the next 15 years to use  ;D ;D ;D Have a great trip.

Big Tim