Nice Butt

Started by Keta, May 19, 2015, 01:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Good idea to turn the hens, usually fish over 60#, loose.

Wasn't the .38 overly loud?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AlasKen

Not to bad.  A 410 is probably more commonly used.  They even sell some shorter barelled stainless steel models referred locally as a Halibut gun.  The 38 was what we had with us.  No one was around within a mile or so.  This was late in the season, end of September I believe.  I think a 22LR would have been fine if we had one.  We usually carry a 45 but only had the 38 this trip.  My brother is always telling me if you are using a gun you are hunting halibutt not fishing.  My main concern when shooting is to understand what the backdrop is as you could get a skip that travels a long way, or that is what I have been told.  In this case I ht the target and the bullet passed through and into the water.  As mentioned, this is not my norm and the only time I felt the need to shoot.  I can say a 140# Halibut fills the back of my 24' boat.  Ken

redsetta

Great pic Lee - thanks for sharing.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

let the good times roll

Three se7ens

Quote from: Keta on May 19, 2015, 08:31:29 PM
Good idea to turn the hens, usually fish over 60#, loose.

Wasn't the .38 overly loud?

I always carry a 9mm on the boat with me, and Ive learned to keep mild range ammo in the clip for the boat, not high powered defensive loads.  The one(and only) time I used +p left my ears ringing for an hour. 

Dont do it very much, but it makes life easier when you have a less than happy fish thats too big to fit in the fish box, and big enough to break things and/or people.

Meanwhile

Good fish Lee.  You saw the smaller fish we got on my boat.  It was a friends weekend prior to starting the new charter. 

Keta

Did you see the shark that bit your butt?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Newell Nut

Glad you got out and caught a nice butts. Snappers are biting pretty good here.

reelrepair123

very nice fish lee, a great catch, your giving gary, gstours a run for his money, beautiful

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Here's a photo of Randy's "shark bait".  

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

We need to go butting with you Lee.  I've always wanted to catch one, but not have had any luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Meanwhile

Lee, sorry for the late reply.  I didn't see it but another said it was about an 8' blue. 

Happier crew.  The ladies kicked our halibuts:

You can check out more photos at meanwhilecharters.com out of Garibaldi, Oregon.

foakes

Great pic with the three ladies -- the smiles say it all.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I like that Grady in the backgroumd there.  Nice boats.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.