perfect size drift sock for big boats and downrigger question.

Started by Marko, May 25, 2015, 04:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Dear members,

i already twice succeed making a custom drift socks for the boat that i regularly rent for fishing. the first one was 2 meter diameter and 4 meter long with conical shape. it uses 3 mm nylon rope for tying the parachute to the weight. it was used for 14 meter long boat and weigh at 14 tons.

the second one was 3 meter in diameter and 5 meter long conical shape using 8 mm nylon rope for tying the bottom of the parachute to the weight. this boat is 24 meter long and weigh in at 28 tons.

with quite strong winds and medium current, i found that this custom drift sock due slow down the boat,but not slow enough.

i would really thanks if anyone here has ever made their custom drift socks for such a large boat and got the drifting speed dead slow. please share.

the next question was about the downrigger:
a. can it be used for deep live baiting/bottom fishing?
b. i already made 5 lbs of custom downrigger weight and it still taken by the current. What is the ideal size for fishing on deeper than 100 meter of water and strong currents?

for any answer i give You my greatest thanks. this trial and error cost me real money, and if someone with experience like me and already have the answer would save me many trouble. thanks

Dominick

When I was fishing with downriggers before I sold my boat I used 15lb weights most times.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marko

Quote from: Dominick on May 25, 2015, 10:29:40 PM
When I was fishing with downriggers before I sold my boat I used 15lb weights most times.  Dominick

ok thanks for the info mate. well noted

conchydong

The downrigger can absolutely be used for live baiting deep. In my locale it is a top producer drifting or slow trolling for Wahoo and Kingfish with a Speedo (round scad) or a Goggle Eye (big eye scad) for bait. As far as size for a drift sock, I would contact one of the manufacturers and get their expert advice. Paratech is one manufacturer.

Marko

Quote from: conchydong on June 11, 2015, 02:58:36 PM
The downrigger can absolutely be used for live baiting deep. In my locale it is a top producer drifting or slow trolling for Wahoo and Kingfish with a Speedo (round scad) or a Goggle Eye (big eye scad) for bait. As far as size for a drift sock, I would contact one of the manufacturers and get their expert advice. Paratech is one manufacturer.

buying a well made paratech is pocket blowing... for the boat i required the 4,000,- USD model.. ::) that is too much as when I made a DIY was costing max 1/10 of that price ;D

I'm taking information on their website that minimum 47,000,- lbs of water displacement on the sea anchor is minimum for 75 foot boat. they actually recommends the one with 188,000,- lbs of water displacement weight.

now I'm preparing to modify my drift sock to hold as much 98,000,,- lbs of water weight displacement and i'm still confused how heavy is 98,000,- lbs underwater.. is it half? is it less than half?

current model of my drift socks holds 11 meter cubic of water equals to roughly 22,000,- lbs of water displacement weight/drag. the 8 mm nylon line with 8 point to the drift socks holds and I believe it's still safe. as 8 mm nylon breaking strain is around 1.4 tons -1.5 tons, the calculation meets.

What I'm trying to figure is do I need to use 12 mm nylon line to tie the paracute with 16 tie points or 10 mm nylon line with 16 tie points for 98,000,- lbs drift socks would hold it. ??? headache headache...................... :-\

Keta

For deep or fast trolling I use a 15LB (6.8kg) pancake weight.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain