Surf rod recommendations?

Started by coastal_dan, May 26, 2015, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Folks - Just got a great deal on a Penn SSV6500 and I'll be using it half on the beach and half from a boat.  So, any recommendations for a Surf Rod? 

I am NOT one of the full timers that needs a Lamiglass/Zee Bass combo...I'm just a weekend warrior with surf fishing.  I was looking at the Penn Prevail 10' as well as the Ande ATS-1000A 10'.  Both of these are under $75 and where I'd like to be....any other options out there?

I mostly throw bait, so top and bottom rigs as well as whole mullet rigs.  No hardcore sharking.....might try some plug/metal throwing here and there.

I used to have a beautiful Pinnacle 10'-6" paired with a Penn Power Graph and it was great for what I needed...but that was 10 years ago. 

So...whatcha think/got for me?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

My ends use the Prevail in Hawaii and they said that the rod is pretty stiff.  If it fits your needs, then I'd choose the Prevail.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

If your casting any distance (100yd +) then I'd go for a 13 or 14ft rod 6-8oz casting weight (dependant upon bait and weight). Shorter rods will struggle with distance. In the UK 'serious' surf fishos are using 14-16ft rods and achieving over 200yds :o A bit beyond my range ;)

coastal_dan

Yeah, don't need anything THAT long. 

When I worked at a tackle shop we had a guy that kept coming in and buying this one type of 15' fiberglass rod...probably bought 3 or 4 of them.  When I asked him about it, he said it wasn't so much that he was able to cast farther but that the rod tip (and line) was above the breaking point of the waves so that his bait was less disturbed....thought that was interesting...not sure if there is any validity to it though.

The 10' - 0" to 10'-6" range is also easy to get in my small sedan, much longer than that and it'll take up valuable seat belt space.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming if you have input  :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

newfuturevintage

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 26, 2015, 08:01:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming if you have input  :)

I picked up a Daiwa "eliminator" 10'er in graphite off CL for about $40 or so last year and like it a lot for surf casting.  Fairly light, good action for flinging about 3-6oz over the waves. The 5' breakdown is nice for travel.

Reel 224

Here is a rod that I like very much made by St. Croix Its 10'-6" Premier Surf PSR 106H2 Heavy Power Mod Fast Action 15-30 Lb line 4-8oz  SC" & SC"w Graphite I use it for Stripe Bass and have thrown fairly light plugs with it very well. I like like this stick because it has backbone. Its two piece but that doesn't seam to make a difference in the action of the rod. If you can find one I would try it and see if it fits you needs.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 26, 2015, 09:07:02 PM
Here is a rod that I like very much made by St. Croix Its 10'-6" Premier Surf PSR 106H2 Heavy Power Mod Fast Action 15-30 Lb line 4-8oz  SC" & SC"w Graphite I use it for Stripe Bass and have thrown fairly light plugs with it very well. I like like this stick because it has backbone. Its two piece but that doesn't seam to make a difference in the action of the rod. If you can find one I would try it and see if it fits you needs.

Not a bad choice at all  - and this rod can plug and bait so you got both going on.

For your budget go used - you should be able to pick up a Tica or Tsunami in the 11 foot size

To get above the waves use a longer sandspike - mine are anywhere from 5 to 8 feet

steelfish

Im more surf rat than boat guy and I like budget rods

Look for okuma solaris rod, tsunami airwave, penn torque rods, plenty of mild price on almost every brand this days.

9ft and 10ft rods are plenty for average use
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I'm an Ugly Stick man myself for the spinners.
Life is Good!

foakes

Have to agree on the Ugly Stik.

The surf is tough on gear -- no matter how careful one is.

Salt, wind, sand, dunking, heavy weights, waves and rip tides -- nothing easy going on there.

I am too cheap to use a $200-$300 rod in the surf.

The Ugly Stiks have proven themselves to be capable at a decent price point that won't make you cry when (not if) it gets damaged.

They are like the Jigmasters or Mitchell 300s for rods.

There are better rods out there -- and I use them also...but hard to go wrong with a properly selected and well matched Ugly Stik -- bought on sale.

Fresh water rinse, wipe down, and a little WD wiped on with a soft cloth will go a long way.  Same for the reel -- but do not spray the fresh water too hard into the reel -- just let the water flow over the reel.  Otherwise one could force sand and salt inside some reel areas, that would do more harm than good.

Just my opinions --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

What type of surf fishing will you be doing?  Casting plugs and lures.  Casting weight and bait? 

How much weight will you be throwing?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

I have been using Daiwas and Tica. The one I like the most is my 10' 3-6 oz Daiwa Emcast, nice rod and light. I also use the Beef Stik, strong but heavy, Sealine is good also

Marc..

coastal_dan

Thanks all for the replys!  Notes are being taken :)

Marcq - My Dad always used Daiwa surf fishing, said it was some of the best.  He was a big Emcast fan as well

Bryan - mostly throwing bait (top and bottom rigs and whole mullet rigs) attached to 3-5 oz sinkers...much more than 5 oz and its too rough/windy for the family to be on the beach anyway.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

My friends in Hawaii are using the Prevail for the same type of fishing style as you, and they have only good things to say about that rod.

coastal_dan

The more and more I look into I think I'm leaning towards the Prevail @ 74.99 shipped, its hard to go wrong...

I have appreciated everyone's input!  I'll post pics of them together once it happens.
Dan from Philadelphia...