Surf rod recommendations?

Started by coastal_dan, May 26, 2015, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 28, 2015, 07:25:19 PM
The more and more I look into I think I'm leaning towards the Prevail @ 74.99 shipped, its hard to go wrong...

I have appreciated everyone's input!  I'll post pics of them together once it happens.

That certainly is a lot less expensive then the St. Croix that I mentioned, and if it works for you that is all that matters.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

coastal_dan

Rod seems quite nice for the price!  I would say that the 5500 would be best suited for this 10'-0" but the 6500 still balances out quite nice.  I'm thinking of going with 20lb mono so I can use it boat and surf fishing, plus it'll only be about $8 to fill rather than $45 worth of braid, ha.  After the hurting I put on 10-15 lb bluefish a couple weeks ago on 15 lb mono I'm thinking it can take as much as I can dish out.

Thanks for all the recommendations and input guys!  I'll try to snap a picture tonight, hoping to put it into action in Lewes this weekend, supposed to be around 80° Sat and Sun :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

ive muscled in a ray (not easy to move in any case), well over 100 lbs in the surf on 20 lb big game. that'll be plenty. let us know how the rod does; i looked at one the other day after your question and i agree it has good features for the price.

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 26, 2015, 04:06:55 PM
If your casting any distance (100yd +) then I'd go for a 13 or 14ft rod 6-8oz casting weight (dependant upon bait and weight). Shorter rods will struggle with distance. In the UK 'serious' surf fishos are using 14-16ft rods and achieving over 200yds :o A bit beyond my range ;)

My pb is 207 yards (measured).

That was on a 4-6oz rod with a 5oz lead.

Fishing distance with baited traces and wet hands is a totally different
ball game to on the field, distance does not come from the latest rod
but slow in fast out, its all about that final punch and pull.

I can cast 100 yards plus with a 3oz lead and an 11' spinning rod,
remember slow in fast out, ie let the rod do the work not you,
you will go a lot further with this in mind.

Newell Nut

I am thinking about building a 13-6 one piece Lamiglas in a couple months. That one should really sling a weight and bait.

retrofit

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 26, 2015, 08:01:47 PM
Yeah, don't need anything THAT long. 

When I worked at a tackle shop we had a guy that kept coming in and buying this one type of 15' fiberglass rod...probably bought 3 or 4 of them.  When I asked him about it, he said it wasn't so much that he was able to cast farther but that the rod tip (and line) was above the breaking point of the waves so that his bait was less disturbed....thought that was interesting...not sure if there is any validity to it though.

The 10' - 0" to 10'-6" range is also easy to get in my small sedan, much longer than that and it'll take up valuable seat belt space.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming if you have input  :)

That is a good point but, you can have a 10' rod and put it on a 6' sand spike and achieve the same height above the wave action.

retrofit

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 27, 2015, 02:17:59 PM
I'm an Ugly Stick man myself for the spinners.

WHO, Where'd you get that jazzed-up crank for that Penn reel?

retrofit

Wright & McGill has some nice surf rods. I use a couple of their in-shore rods and for the price they are great. Check them out on the W&M website. They should be available most anywhere.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: retrofit on June 05, 2015, 02:58:07 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 27, 2015, 02:17:59 PM
I'm an Ugly Stick man myself for the spinners.

WHO, Where'd you get that jazzed-up crank for that Penn reel?
Across the pond. Cornwall to be Exact. They are hard to find. I saw one on ebay in England. I have a good friend on here that just happens to live there. ;)
Life is Good!

SacFly

I haven't checked out any of the new Penn surf rods yet, they may be good bang for the buck, but if you bump the budget up to about 125 you will have a lot more quality options.  Tica, Tsunami, and the intro lines from Lami and St Croix. 

The listed rod ratings on surf rods are often completely wrong so I'd be wary of ordering anything that I had not personally handled/fished.  I have a rod rated 3-8oz that would shatter if I tried to throw 5oz with it.  :(

The best thing to do is to go to a well stocked B&T and tell them what you want to do with it.  Bait fishing can mean clam on a hi-lo and 3oz, or it can be 8oz + a bunker head.  For the former a beefy plugging rod will get the job done, for the latter you need something completely different.

For getting started I'd be looking at 10' rods.  In most cases there will be a lighter version and a heavier version at any given length.  For double duty plugging/light bait you want the heavier version.  This should get you something that will throw a 2.5oz popper or tin well enough and let you throw your hi-lo rig with 4oz as long as you take it easy.

coastal_dan

Couple pictures...I may pick up the 8'-0" to pair with my 710z.  Don't mind the mess...you know how it is. ::)

Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Filled it w/ 20lb mono and did some bait soaking on Sunday AM.  No fish, but I got the feel for it and it casts like a dream!  Extremely happy with this set up.  Breakdown on price (for those budget minded individuals like me  ;D)  Reel - $116 shipped, Rod - $75 shipped, Line - $7.  I'll honestly own this for decades so cheers to Penn once again.
Dan from Philadelphia...

thorhammer

Reel 224

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 10, 2015, 01:00:53 PM
Filled it w/ 20lb mono and did some bait soaking on Sunday AM.  No fish, but I got the feel for it and it casts like a dream!  Extremely happy with this set up.  Breakdown on price (for those budget minded individuals like me  ;D)  Reel - $116 shipped, Rod - $75 shipped, Line - $7.  I'll honestly own this for decades so cheers to Penn once again.

$198.00 That was less then my rod alone. Great purchase. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."