Project Penn 704 done

Started by Marcq, May 27, 2015, 05:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

It started with this green 704

Installing a second dog

At that point everything was straight forward until it was time to install a spring for that dog, my intention was to use a leaf spring but couldn't figure out how to make it work so I went with the same spring the other dog uses, had to do a lot of grinding the make it lay flat, would have been easier with out that stud in the way  ::)

Putting it back together

Was a bit tricky to install the main gear with two dog, made a mono leach to held it back

Two dogs at work

Marc..

Shark Hunter

Great job Marc! It looks nice.
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Very cool.  Are the the ARs operating in sync or alternating?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

Thanks guys!! 8)

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 27, 2015, 06:59:54 PM
Very cool.  Are the the ARs operating in sync or alternating?

Wasn't sure  first but they are alternating, the ratchet gears are pretty close together to start with and with the second dog there's is not much back play, actually! No back play at all  :)

Thanks, Marc..

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

So sexy...another awesome job Marc!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Thats pretty cool.  The reel sounds like a gattling gun.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broschro

Fishit 2

The guys on the jetty fishing near by must get the hell scared out of them when they first hear it!
I'm wondering if just upgrading the one dog to SS would help? That might damage the bronze gear though?
I would also like to drill holes in the bottom of the cup, wondering if I can do this with a dremel?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Marcq

Hope I wont get a "can you shut that thing up" because my answer is I can't   ;D

On this Penn  I would like to manually close the bail later on and a drag upgrade

Now I'm not sure what line to put on, going to jig it

Thanks again guys
Marc..

Fishit 2

The very best line you can use - the only line I'll use on my 704z right truths 716z(I have all reels in between) is Fireline Original. I use 30lb on the 704/706, 20lb on the 710/712 and 14lb on the 714/716. This line was made for these reels.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Marcq

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 28, 2015, 07:22:43 AM
The very best line you can use - the only line I'll use on my 704z right truths 716z(I have all reels in between) is Fireline Original. I use 30lb on the 704/706, 20lb on the 710/712 and 14lb on the 714/716. This line was made for these reels.
Cool!! Fireline Original, deals well with the roller? Was going to go 20lb Big Game or 50lb braid PP. Wonder if 25lb mono would do it? I like mono in the 25lb range

Marc..

SacFly

Fireline is indeed user friendly stuff, but if you put the line on correctly you can use just about any braid.
I have used:
fireline 20,30
pp 20,30,50
original suffix 30,40
suffix 832 40

It's true that the line lay is not the best, so if you just tie to the spool and "reel on" 450 yards of braid, it's going to be a mess.  But if you use a machine or do it extremely carefully by hand, you can get the backing and braid that never sees daylight tight and even.  You can then "reel on" the last 75 yards that you actually fish with.  The line lay won't be as pretty as on a new shimano, but it won't cause you problems while fishing.

Also, compared to a newer reel, you need to leave a slightly larger gap between the line and the lip of the spool.  And you will need to pay a bit more attention to maintaining line tension as you're fishing so you get nice tight wraps.  Honestly, the only time I get wind knots is after a non-fishing buddy has used my rig for an afternoon so there are some loose wraps hidden in there.

If you decide on braid, go bail-less for sure.  Bail-less works fine for both plugging and deadsticking bait.

mike1010