Q: Abu C3 doesn't always engage...what's the cure?

Started by Steve-O, May 30, 2015, 06:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 02, 2015, 07:42:05 PM
I removed my last comment, I believe this is getting dragged too far. ;D

Thanks for all your input. For my part the education was worth way more than any "beating of a dead horse" or " agree to disagree" rebuttals.

I may have been fishing for decades but opening reels is still new to me and pun intended here -I'm a REEL dummy.

My Total time logged in: 4 days, 19 hours and 20 minutes. should say plenty right there.

Alto Mare

Steve, I've seen some of your work, I'm sure you could teach us a few things ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Well as I started to say before, I am glad we are having this discussion about plastic over mettle parts, especially when Sal and Fred get into the mix, there opinions are important and help me understand the different views on the importance of the use of these parts as applied in the earlier reels. John has given me a lot more insight on the reel manufacturing points of view and design applications from a cost and production aspect,supply and demand as well. I may not agree with all of the viewpoints made but that's not important what is important her is the discussion about fishing reels. ;D   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

The yoke arrived and in it went. Can't believe how fast I can open, service and button up a round Abu reel now. After closing the C3 I Opened my 6500 Black Max to have a look see. Looking good under the hood. Some bushings instead of bearings. Minor cleaning, mostly dried Carp slime on the outside. Back together...total time 20 -25 mins.

I put a 36mm aluminum power knob on my C3 handle since the shafts of the original were wallowed wobbly. Matches up nicely. Cast it a few times in the back yard. The bearings whir a bit but it casts well and the bum yoke was the only issue. Now to hook into some big Carp again with it. ;D

Reel 224

Glad everything worked out Steve-O.Show us some pictures of some Carp now.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 07, 2015, 12:41:28 AM

Thanks. That WAS the plan this afternoon but the nap took a chunk out of my carp session. Rebuilt my swamp cooler with my neighbor's assistance and that burned a couple three hours, too. New pads, new pump, some major cleaning, etc.

So I had a short drive north and took my new Abu Orra2 Inshore baitcaster and the C3 with a new big ball handle knob on it. Missed two takes on the C3 while flipping bread crusts in the other direction. Sight casting or guessing where they might be is fun. Yanked in one 14# fattie common and pulled out my phone for a pic to find it had shut off in my pocket. Super big storm came up with high winds and lightning before the rain.  Made casting freelined bead crust a challenge to say the least. Packed it in after the one and the rain hit for the 15 mile drive home.

Monday is my next window.

Reel 224

Quote from: Steve-O on June 07, 2015, 04:54:24 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on June 07, 2015, 12:41:28 AM

Thanks. That WAS the plan this afternoon but the nap took a chunk out of my carp session. Rebuilt my swamp cooler with my neighbor's assistance and that burned a couple three hours, too. New pads, new pump, some major cleaning, etc.

So I had a short drive north and took my new Abu Orra2 Inshore baitcaster and the C3 with a new big ball handle knob on it. Missed two takes on the C3 while flipping bread crusts in the other direction. Sight casting or guessing where they might be is fun. Yanked in one 14# fattie common and pulled out my phone for a pic to find it had shut off in my pocket. Super big storm came up with high winds and lightning before the rain.  Made casting freelined bead crust a challenge to say the least. Packed it in after the one and the rain hit for the 15 mile drive home.

Monday is my next window.

Steve-O I know exactly what you mean, since I have had my pass to fish the Naval pier here......which is an outstanding place to fish. I have only had time to get out there three times. Bad weather and bad timing with the tides has made it a bust, that and the weather temperature and water has made it tough for us so far. Still waiting to see some of those Carp bro. ;D