The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by AlasKen, June 01, 2015, 08:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

The good.  Went on a three day camping and fishing trip with family and friends.  Firs day headed out of resurrection Bay, AK about 20 miles to try and entice a halibut.  Water was nice, sun shining, managed to catch 3 Yellow Eye Rockfish. 
The bad. Had a newbie on the boat and current was ripping.  Thought he had a monster but was fighting a rock.  Lost my new Roust a Bout jig before I got a chance to try it.  Way it goes and if you are not losing a few jigs you are not deep enough.
The ugly, Blew a spark plug out of number 3 cylinder on a Suzi, DF 115.  Made a heck of a reacket when it went.  Shut down and put a new plug in the hole.  You could tell it didn't seem right and didn't want to tighten.  Tried to limp in on 3 cylinders but it let go again.  We fired up the 9.9 kicker and brought it home 18 miles at hull speed, about 6.6 MPH on my boat.  Made it back safely, no one hurt and didn't need to call for tow or help so maybe not real ugly.  Had to bag the trip as the cabin we rented is about 9 miles from town and only accessible by water.  Loaded up the boat and 8 hours later made it home.
We saw some Orca's real close to the boat and was a cool experience for our first timer.  While not out plan it is what it is and if you are on the water long enough you will find that stuff just happens sometime.  I will check with the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get the head helicoiled or if a new head is required.  Ken   

Dominick

Ken glad to see you made it back safely.  Stuff happens but the next time you'll knock 'em dead.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.