Penn Conventional Reel Comparison

Started by Bill B, June 03, 2015, 04:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Because my memory is fading and I just can't seem to remember the size difference between a 112H and a 940 Levelmatic, I took some time to compile some of the more common Penn Conventional Reels, add the published mono line capacity, and then used Norcal's Line Estimator to show the braid capacity from 40 to 80 lbs.....I will admit that this may not be 100% accurate, depending on the time of day I was working on it or the number of Coors Lights, but it seems pretty close.  I chose the 40-80 lb braid because that seems to be the most common braids we use.  It prints out to about 7 pages.  Feel free to print and share copies if you find it useful.......and comments (only the good ones.. ;D..are welcome....LOL)  Thanks to Scott's Bait and Tackle, Pennfishing.com, and all the other published specs, and thanks to Norcal for providing the link for the Line Estimator........Bill

Modification made to table to include 116L....Thanks SH.....

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RonRico

This is a HUGE help to me. Thanks so much for sharing!

Edit to add: Earlier this week I was wondering if there was anything like this on the 'net.
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

That's pretty Cool Tarfu. I see you don't have a 116L (12/0) on the list. I can fit 1000 yards of 100 lb mono on it.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Thanks for the comments.....ok....NOOB question....there was the 116A 10/0...the 116L 12/0 is a different size reel then....I will make the adjustment to the tables and repost....good looking out SH....that must have been a 4 Coors Light night.... ::)

Shark Hunter

No need to repost. The Big Boys are just my reels of choice. The 116A (10/0) is a Narrow 116L (12/0). Just as the 117L(14/0) is a Narrow 118(16/0). Both reels use the same exact parts, just the spools and posts are different.
Life is Good!

Bill B

SH....I had to do it brother....the whole reason for the chart was to show the different models....now I know the 116A and 116L are two different animals sharing the same genes.....if you find any additional errors in your specialty...Da Big Boys...please let me know...I'm trying to be as accurate as possible.....Bill