different kind of fishing...

Started by snowdog, June 06, 2015, 09:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowdog

...as in I have been fishing around this website as a guest for a couple weeks and Wow just Wow!  The amount of combined knowledge/experience and willingness to share really moved me so I just had to register and join in the fun.  Thanks to all the contributors and organizers of this site.  Tremendous resource and I am definitely going to be spending some time here as I have a bunch of reels that need work/repair and maybe some upgrades.  

I live in Northern Cali and have mostly been spearfishing from shore for rockfish and lings.  Then a friend left a kayak at my house so I picked up a craigslist Penn 209 and have been fishing it, but it is seized up now.  Next, I made friends with a salmon fisherman out of Trinidad.  So I picked up a C.L. Penn 309 and have been using it trolling for Kings (until today when I noticed the whole frame was racking back and forth due to a missing screw!).  We have decided to also target Halibut this season so I once again went to Craigslist and found a guy selling a Penn 49 super mariner.  Got to his house and he had a box of reels for $80.  I said i was only interested in the No. 49 but offered $50 for the box sight unseen and he said deal!  Got home and emptied the box to find three No. 49's, Daiwa Sealine 400h, Penn Long Beach 60, an unmarked level wind that is same size as the 60 (edit-- just notice print inside sideplate "imperial" Ocean City (maybe a 920?)), Ocean City 1600, and a handfull of eggbeaters.

I have already ordered a drag set for the Sealine 400h (thanks Bryan Young) and now I need to do some reading and figure out drags for the other reels and probably some new handles and who knows what else!

One question I have is about replacing the frame on a reel.  I'm eyeing a Penn 501 (to replace my seized 209) and keep hearing about solid frames???  Could some explain what that entails?

So thanks again and look forward to hang'n around this virtual shop and learning a few things.

Tight lines,
Sean

foakes

Welcome aboard, Sean --

There are some solid aluminum frames made for some of the Penns.

Such as most of the Senators, Jigmasters, Squidders, some of the Mariners, etc.

They prevent the "frame twist" with the stock stand and posts -- that will occur when fishing the heavier Ocean demands.

The most common brand is Tiburon, followed by Accurate who does not manufacture these anymore, then old Newells, as well as a few custom makers on this site.

It is a good and worthwhile upgrade -- and not cheap.

However, if it were me -- I would consider just going through all of your reels with a complete cleaning, replacing any broken or worn parts, grease with Yamaha Marine, oil, replace the drags with Cal's greased CFs & SS, add a new under gear washer in either Delrin or a greased smaller CF -- and just go ahead and fish these stock, except for the drag upgrades.

We would be glad to help with any questions, or help with parts availability -- no use spending too much on these reels initially -- they are strong and capable as is.  And will do a good job with just the stack upgrade, clean and service.

This way, you can see what you like and would need to do -- as you enjoy the fishing.

I used to fish out of Trinidad with Bill Sweet for Salmon, many years ago.  He lived in McKinleyville.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

snowdog

Thanks for the explanation Fred.  I will look further into those aluminum frames.  Not for all the reels just the one I fish with off the yak.  Otherwise you laid out a god plan for putting the rest of the reels back in service. 

That's cool you know Trinidad.  Probably hasn't changed at all, except more guys fishing off kayaks last couple years.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Welcome Sean.  Talking about jumping in with both feet, hands and whole body with that box of reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snowdog

Ha Bryan I'm jumping in alright!  No turning back now.  As soon as I get the drag kit for the 400H I'm going to break it down as well.  Then we'll see if I can get them put back together!!!

Alan, thanks for the welcome.  I'll be ordering some parts from you soon!  

This is fun and I can't wait to see the difference in performance on these old reels.  I do this with old woodworking tools too.  Once they are stripped, cleaned and rebuilt they work well and will outlast any modern manufactured tool.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Welcome Snowdog:  Where in norcal?  I'm in San Mateo.  Why the snowdog alias?  Dominick 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

snowdog

I'm up in Humboldt County.  Arcata to be exact.  Behind the Redwood curtain as we say.  Mostly fish out of Trinidad Harbor. 

Snowdog has been my online alias for many years because of my passion for mountaineering.  I suppose I could come up with a saltier name for this forum.  Hmm...maybe speareo or salmon slayer or Ling Dinger... oh this could be fun!  I'll mull it over for awhile. :D

Bill B

Welcome from the Sacramento Delta.....my parents live in Fort Dick nd my dad has been fishing the mouth of the Smith for the last decade....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!