Shimano Chronarch CI4+ - diagnosis required!

Started by wva custom rods, June 11, 2015, 06:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wva custom rods

Hope someone may be able to shed some light on this:

I replaced all bearings in the above baitcaster, except the main gear drive bearing.
Whilst in there i uprated the (2) stock drag washers with carbontex versions.

I now have a reel that is smooth as silk, and whisper quiet.... until i crank up the drag! The higher the drag is set, the noisier the reel.

If i take the spool out then the reel is back to whisper quiet, regardless of drag setting.

Any idea's on what could be causing this would be appreciated.

thanks,
Marty

Zimbass

Hi Marty,

Welcome to the world that Alan created !

It is always so difficult to diagnose a problem without having the reel in hand. The only issue that I can think of, is that the roller clutch bearing and inner tube are dry. I usually apply a few drops of oil to the rollers, and run a Q-tip around the inside of the bearing. Same with the tube.

Give it a try if you have not done so already, and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

alantani

this might be the time to literally break out a microscope and check the gear teeth.  i'll bet you find damage. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wva custom rods

Thanks guys,

Alan the reel is brand new out the box so this is one time that i hope you are wrong!  :o

I'll strip out the roller bearing and check, although i did lubricate this when dismantled. (Would over-lubing cause my problem?)

i'll report back!

cheers
marty

Reel 224

It may be possible that something isn't lining up after upgrading the drag stack or a bearing is not seated properly causing the noisy cranking when there is pressure on the system from tightening the drag down. Welcome aboard Marty.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Slazmo

Check the handle shaft assy is correct and that there is a washer between the bearing and the e clip and that this whole structure is screwed down to the body correctly. Sounds like something is deflecting somehow when the drag is pressing down on the main gear.

Check that the concave /convex washers are right also on the handle shaft...

Has to be something simple - like something not seated etc?

wva custom rods

must admit i originally thought it was something to do with the handle assembly, as the star drag collar has a slight bit of left/right wobble in it when reeling - but everything there is in correct position/order.

1 thing that is nagging at me is there are 3 washers (part no.3926) in front of the pinion bearing on the schematics http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/14CHCI4151HG_v1_m56577569830891276.pdf, and my (failing!) memory seems to recall only 1 being in there... i know i'm going to have to strip the whole reel down again but could this be the problem if indeed i am missing a washer (or 2) from here ?

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Slazmo

You can see the washer sequence.

Thin washer, two concave washers ((,)) and then a bronze / brass washer then the drag nut which lives under the drag knob.

wva custom rods

are you sure about the concave washers? i thought they went () or )( - not (( or )) ??

Slazmo

Zimbass

Just one thing that I find many do wrong, is to place the brass/bronze washer in the right way. Once the belleville washers are placed ( ), the brass washer that has a fibre side, is placed metal to metal. That is brass side down towards the concave washers. This allows the fibre side to run smoothly under the star drag nut.

On some older models the fibre side runs on the concave washer side, but not on the newer models.

If that may help.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

wva custom rods

definately got all the washers in the correct way/orientation.

my common sense tells me that there is an issue somewhere with the main/pinion gear not meshing quite right under load....

or a chance in a million that somehow the main gear bearing has gone bad whilst i swapped out all the other bearings!

cant face another strip down tonight but will report back when i muster the enthusiasm!