TYRNOS 30 GETS HARDER TO WIND WITH INCREASED DRAG.

Started by eagleclaw, December 24, 2010, 12:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagleclaw

HI ALAN
IVE GOT A PROBLEM WITH 2 TYRNOS 30 REELS.THEY ARE A FEW YEARS OLD AND HAVE DONE A LOT OF WORK,BUT I DO SERVICE THEM REGULARLY. THE PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN THE DRAG IS INCREASED, THE HANDLE GETS INCREASINLY HARDER TO WIND TO THE POINT WHERE ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO TURN.ANY IDEAS APPRECIATED.

alantani

first guess, right main side plate bearing.  pretty common.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Very, very common. At least half of the Tyrnos 30s I get in the shop need the pinion bearing replaced. The new Shimano ARB bearings are much better than the ones they used to use, but they still get salt in them and you can crush them with heavy drag. (You're not fishing 80# on them, are you?) Whatever you do, be sure to pack the new pinion bearing with grease before you install it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

eagleclaw

I fish 60 pound on both reels both deep water jigging and trolling.i actually thought the problem was the bearings but when i cleaned and greased them they seemed to be as smooth as .Anyhow thanks for the advice guys ,i'll get a couple of new bearings and hopefully i'll be sorted.

akfish

Sometimes the bearing problem only shows up if you put pressure on the bearing. I'll bet you'll feel some grit if you take the bearing out and push hard on the bearing with your finger when you turn it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

push sideways hard on the bearing.  if you feel any roughness at all, it has to be replaced.  the symptoms you are describing are classic!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!