Penn Catalog...Guess you can ask for anythimg

Started by Tightlines667, June 12, 2015, 07:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Superhook

Not likely that a black and white version will sell at this price but i have seen coloured versions sell high . You can ask for any price but will only get what someone is prepared to pay. The seller has two B/W catalogs in very good condition.

coastal_dan

Catalogs are a funny thing...I have the only two I am interested in buying and that first purchase was easy peasy...$29.99 shipped.  Second one I had to go through a few bidding wars and I stopped at $67 the second time around!!! To me that was too much...low and behold, the following week I won the same year for half that price shipped.  The prices really seem to go up and down.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

This seller very recently had a Home Run sale on a color version of the 1939---#7 catalog ($400+), which is a much more difficult find than this version. Now she is trying to see if she can turn a Home Run Sale into a new routine value by pricing the box catalog way up. I say Good Luck, one never knows. All of the #7 catalogs are difficult to find, value is determined by demand.

coastal_dan

Interesting that there were both black/white and color catalogs printed...obviously the black and white was cheaper but interesting none the less.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

If you go to page 73 of my book, you will see both the color and Black & White #7 catalogs. The color catalog is different because of the color cover and the content of the first couple of pages. Internally both books are printed in black and white with the exact content after page 2. The reason there are more of the plain black and white covers catalogs is because the plain catalogs are the ones the were put in the reel boxes. The color covers were given away at Trade Shows or sent to people that requested them to be mailed to them.

I have sold these #7 color catalogs for much less than they are selling for today, but, I believe I did get $200 for one about two years ago. So, they are rare and they are not easy. So, keep an eye out for them. Very often a reel will show up on EBay with one of these early catalogs in the box with the reel. Some very good deals can be made with a bit of luck.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

fIsHsTiiCkS

Superhook

Penn Chronology

I guess paying it off, over a six month time span makes it cheaper :-\