Fenwick question for Sal (or anyone in the know)

Started by thorhammer, May 14, 2015, 11:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Hey Sal,

I recall a couple weeks back you had pic posted of some of your big motors on various rods, some of which were Fenwicks. Years ago, I bought a 117 on a Fenwick 80 lb stick from a friend of mine who was getting on years and didnt shark anymore. I didnt ask him about the rod at the time because i was more interested in the reel, but it was in great shape. My buddy let me hold the whole show with 1500yds 80lb Dacron spooled for two bills, so I figured I was in the good anyway.

question concerning the reel seat: The rod is the white Fenglas with the brown and amber wraps (i love the old school look).  Because it was used to shark from the Nags Head pier, it appears the original butt had been modified from a boat rod configuration (7' rod) and had EVA with a graphite gimbal on end, which I know cant be stock for this rod. I'd like to revert it to original boat rod configuration. I have a couple of blk / gold Aftco butts laying around and could easily enough re-seat the upper. However, this rod has a black and gold aluminum Fenwick reel seat i have not seen elsewhere. Other such rods I have seen employed a stock silver unibutt. I'd like to preserve the real seat intact if possible if it was stock, but what wouldve been the butt? I know prior to unibutt configurations swaged aluminum butts were pinned / epoxied into reel seats like some old Harnell's I have; is it possible this was the set-up and the butt just removed? Sorry i dont have a pic but i'm in the UK at the moment.

Any idea on the history of this seat?

thanks! 
John

Alto Mare

Sorry John, I just got this.
Here are some pics of a few Fenwicks:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2493.0

Look at the second picture

I found the warranty card that came with the Fenglass with the Black and Gold seat, the date is 1984.
These would be the rods  #1 #6 & #7 from left, the #4 with the bent butt is also from that time.
I'm going to guess the #2, #3 & #4 are a bit earlier, probably 10 years earlier.

Here is a pic of the warranty card:

I hope this is of some help.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Kind sir, you clearly are the Library of Congress of tackle.  Thank you so much, I am going to try to preserve this stick as best I can to original form.

Tight lines, and my utmost congrats on your daughters graduation!!

Regards,

John

TomT

I was going to say about 30 years ago, but it was actually about 40 years ago we bought 2 matching Fenwick rods--1 for my teenage son and 1 for me.  About 7-10 years ago one of them came up with a broken tip.  I contacted Fenwick about a replacement on the "Lifetime" warranty.  The employee explained to me that the warranty was now for 5 years.  I explained to him that when I purchased the rod, I expected that the Lifetime Warranty was for MY LIFETIME ;D ::) so I asked him to consult a supervisor for advice.  Bottom line is they replaced the rod.  Great rods and a great company.
TomT

Shark Hunter

Those Fenwicks of Sal's are the gear of Legends! I would love to tangle with a Big Shark on one of those with a Senator. The way it was meant to be. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

strange that the rod has a graphite/nylon gimbal on an 80lb class stick with Bigfoot guides.

thorhammer

Sal, somehow I totally missed the link to your 2011 photo book....what an impressive stand of rods, and in excellent condition. I'm late to the party but drooling with the rest.

John

Bryan Young

I didn't realize until now that Fenwick was based out of Orange County, California.  No wonder many of the great rod manufacturers are down there (Seeker, CalStar, Cousins,...)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D