Well....I was absolutely floored yesterday

Started by Jon Vadney, June 19, 2015, 12:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Vadney

Wow... ok so when I began rod building about 15 years ago, there wasn't much information out there.  There were of course the Clemens' book, and some pretty "meh" videos around, but the available information was scarce to say the least.  I then happened onto Doc Ski's rod building intro video.  The techniques I learned from that video really helped me to understand how to build rods, not just assemble them.  For those of you who don't know who Doc Ski is, here's a quick breakdown of the man:  He's been building rods since the 60's, he was a military medic (his real name is James Lebanowski, hence 'Doc Ski'), he pretty much pioneered weaving as we know it on fishing rods, and has countless innovations that we as rod builders benefit from (using masking tape as bushings, weaving jigs, guide preparation, etc etc).
Doc has always been about sharing information.  As soon as youtube became popular and prevalent, he has been posting VERY in depth how-to videos on there showing the layperson how to spruce up their fishing rods.  Think "The Alan Tani of rods".  As I become more skilled and eventually turned this hobby into a profession, I followed in the footsteps of Doc when it comes to helping people.  I don't claim to be the best at anything, and there are CERTAINLY people out there who are more skilled, but if I know the answer to a question I will take the time to help the person who is asking.  I don't like the idea of hiding techniques.  How are we supposed to grow Rod Building as a hobby if no one is willing to help out the beginners? But I digress...Doc I guess noticed that I try to go out of my way to answer questions and what-not and made a weave for me as a gift.  As some of you know from the thread in the Ohana subforum, I'm really into tattoos.  I have about 1/2 of my body covered and that percentage continues to grow (don't worry....no hand, neck, or face tattoos, those are my rules :)  )  All of my work is part of one overall piece of artwork, all done by one artist.  Doc took the artwork that is on my back and turned it into a weave on a small piece of a rod blank (it'll be hanging on my wall in my shop).  I'm still kind of in shock that he did this for me.  He has more or less been my rod-building idol since I got into it, and imo, is the best rod builder there ever was.

Here's a link to my back tattoo that the weave was made off of (The tattoo has a woman in it topless, so I'm linking it instead of posting it in the forum)  http://imgur.com/c306AL2

Here's what doc said about the weave, and the pics of that:

QuoteI knew it wouldnt be a walk in the park. In weaving the more vertical a line is the more thread is moved to create it. Some of you will know what I went through on this one. Some days I could only put a couple hours in on it because each turn sometimes required moving 50 to 80 threads. This is not the type of weave you want to rush through. It was every bit the challenge I feared it would be. Many of you will know exactly where the original artwork came from, some may scratch your heads for a while. The owner needs to send me his address. I will just be sending the weave on a scrap piece of blank and he can figure out what to do with it. Here are the stats. It can be either a 5 or 6 layer weave depending on the background, it is 160x192 threads. Somewhere between 60 and 100 hours of work. Used mostly Madeira and some Bullards threads. Finished the tie off part with a variation of the JTOB using two threads in opposing directions.
Like I said good things come to good people and you have been that good steward for our craft. I guess it is this old timers way of saying thank you and you help me realize my craft and love are in good hands. I wonder what took longer to do the weave or the tat. I know which was more painful  LOL.

Newell Nut

That is a very cool weave and something I don't think I have the patience for. Something to proud of for sure.

newfuturevintage

Bryan Young

Oh that was for you?   I was floored when I saw it. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Incredible, awesome, inspiring.  What a gift.  I'm in awe.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 19, 2015, 12:42:56 AM
That is a very cool weave and something I don't think I have the patience for. Something to proud of for sure.

I sure as hell dont have the patience for that haha.

Quote from: newfuturevintage on June 19, 2015, 12:52:00 AM
Whoa.  That's. Simply. Amazing.  Whoa.

My sentiments exactly.

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 19, 2015, 01:03:01 AM
Oh that was for you?   I was floored when I saw it. 

Yep :)  Me too lol

Quote from: David Hall on June 19, 2015, 01:10:09 AM
Incredible, awesome, inspiring.  What a gift.  I'm in awe.

Same :)

Dominick

Jon what a tribute.  Congratulations on being noticed in the rod building and fishing community.  I am glad I met you at the dinner.  Now a serious question.  Are tattoos sensitive to sunlight and sunburn?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Dominick on June 19, 2015, 03:20:22 AM
Jon what a tribute.  Congratulations on being noticed in the rod building and fishing community.  I am glad I met you at the dinner.  Now a serious question.  Are tattoos sensitive to sunlight and sunburn?  Dominick
Thanks Dom, and thank you for having me over for dinner!  That was a blast.  As far as tattoos and sunlight, yeah, it's best not to mix them.  It can cause fading, and with me, the red pigments get a little raised for a day or so.  This stuff is awesome though and I usually bathe in it when fishing (no issues with the ink+sun when I use this stuff):

Jon Vadney

I just wanted to add.... that is NOT my picture.  I would never own a moss-green-circa-1964-chair hahaha.

Shark Hunter

I've noticed that too Jon. I only have one tat. Its a Cross on my left arm. When it gets too much sun. The lines raise up. I've had it since 86, but it still does it and hasn't faded.
Life is Good!

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 19, 2015, 04:15:45 AM
I've noticed that too Jon. I only have one tat. Its a Cross on my left arm. When it gets too much sun. The lines raise up. I've had it since 86, but it still does it and hasn't faded.

Yep... i have no idea why it happens, but it does.  For me, it's only the red pigments that do it, the black and other colors don't get raised.  The black my artist uses is some ridiculously expensive sumi ink though, so that may be a reason.

Shark Hunter

I think it still looks pretty good for being 29 years old. I wanted something I wouldn't regret. I was a young man back then. I got it when I was stationed in Scotland. 20 bucks. ;)
Life is Good!

Jon Vadney

Nice man! Definitely not bad for 3 decades. I like old tattoos, they have character :).

Shark Hunter

I don't mean to ramble, but I will never forget that day. We were on a road trip and one of the girls wanted a rolling stone mouth above her breast. There was like ten of us. We all got tattoos. She didn't.
This guy was really good, he freehanded everything. You just picked a picture off the wall and he put it on you. I know it was deep, that's why it still has so much color, I bled like a stuck hog after partying all night. Ahh, the good ole days.
Life is Good!