2015 alantani.com/sprit of adventure charter (stills and video done!)

Started by alantani, June 21, 2015, 02:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

The only other long range boat I've been on other than the SOA is the Excel. I have another 10 day scheduled on it. It has lots of tackle storage and rod holders. Being bigger and wider means there is no overhang of the house over the rod holders along the side so you can put 10'ers there if you want. The sides along the house are wide and you can easily get around someone on the rail even if they're on a fish. There are 4 cabins on the main deck. There are bathrooms & showers downstairs and they have de-humidifiers so there is no humidity issue. They have a free soda fountain in the salon. The foods even better than the SOA! The stairs going up to the top deck aren't as steep as the SOA and there are a bunch of rod holders up there too. I kept my specialty rigs up there. It has wi-fi and satellite tv. the wi-fi is really slow but worked for email.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on June 23, 2015, 04:03:29 PM
The only other long range boat I've been on other than the SOA is the Excel. I have another 10-day scheduled on it. It has lots of tackle storage and rod holders. Being bigger and wider means there is no overhang of the house over the rod holders along the side so you can put 10'ers there if you want. The sides along the house are wide and you can easily get around someone on the rail even if they're on a fish. There are 4 cabins on the main deck. There are bathrooms & showers downstairs and they have de-humidifiers so there is no humidity issue. They have a free soda fountain in the salon. The foods even better than the SOA! The stairs going up to the top deck aren't as steep as the SOA and there are a bunch of rod holders up there too. I kept my specialty rigs up there. It has wi-fi and satellite tv. the wi-fi is really slow but worked for email.

I rode her to Clarion back when she was new, and still called QUALIFIER EXCEL. Sounds like there have been a lot of improvements since then. I am in total agreement that downstairs bathrooms are a HUGE plus (seniors + steep stairs + rough weather = no fun) but there are many other boats with that convenience. As for tackle storage, yeah, it's almost endless. You could bring 50 outfits if you want; it's sort of like fishing from Radio City Music Hall.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

Hey Aiala,  I for one am interested in the reels you utilized on the trip. (This IS a reel site, eh?)

I was wondering if the 980 broke out of the bag at all.  Try any 501's, etc. etc.

Yes, I am living vicariously thru you if you please.

Thanks, Ran
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Hamachi

Hey, great pictures and video Alan! It's almost as though I were there. Again, many thanks to the excellent organization and thought put into this trip, all who donated prizes, and the fish cleaning crew at Five Star. Also a big thanks to captain Mike and the crew of the Spirit Of Adventure for making this trip a memorable one. And lastly to the members of your charter group, new friends and old that made this favorite trip the most desirable out there.

Best regards, Warren
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Aiala

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 23, 2015, 04:54:40 PM
Hey Aiala, I for one am interested in the reels you utilized on the trip. (This IS a reel site, eh?) I was wondering if the 980 broke out of the bag at all? Try any 501's, etc. etc. Yes, I am living vicariously thru you if you please. Thanks, Ran

Randy, let's see if I can remember... okay:

A 501 with blue AccuPlates and Black Pearl SS bars (very nice!)

Newell G229-F (tuned by Fred, therefore perfect)

970 Mag Power (on a Seeker jig stick, cast like a dream)

Long Beach 68 (circa 1940s rebuilt by me, dropper loop rig)

113H (purple/silver, the one I keep on my Mr. Shark plinth)

Avet 2-speed (my pink go-to reel for rail cranking)

Penn 704 (classic spinner #1)

Penn 750SS (classic spinner #2)

Mitchell 404 (classic spinner #3)

Tried them all out, but caught my fish on the 501 and the Avet. Had a fat YT on the 4/0, but it got stolen by a sea dog... oh, and a short ling on the Newell. I don't recall what rig I was using when the nuisance barracuda moved in.  8)

~A~

Porthos

By late Tuesday afternoon, I stopped giving Aiala a hard time about not having longer power handle replacements for her shorter Penn balanced handles.  ;)

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on June 24, 2015, 03:10:14 PM
By late Tuesday afternoon, I stopped giving Aiala a hard time about not having longer power handle replacements for her shorter Penn balanced handles.  ;)

Much appreciated, Wai... but you're right, of course. I need those power handles! (There's a profound difference between being a purist and an idiot.) ;D

~A~

MarkT

The fish's interface with the reel is the drag so you want it smooth and strong.  Your interface with the reel is the handle so you need it comfortable and effective.  Alan's power handles are both!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Quote from: Aiala on June 24, 2015, 03:26:08 PM

Much appreciated, Wai... but you're right, of course. I need those power handles! (There's a profound difference between being a purist and an idiot.) ;D

~A~

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D     And thanks.  I've never even caught an albacore yet so I don't want to be outgunned when I get my act together and go on one of these trips.  Or to Mexico.  I just discovered I have a friend that has offered to pick me up at the airport in La Paz and have me in a boat in a matter of hours.  

Porthos

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 24, 2015, 03:59:30 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D     And thanks.  I've never even caught an albacore yet so I don't want to be outgunned when I get my act together and go on one of these trips.  Or to Mexico.  I just discovered I have a friend that has offered to pick me up at the airport in La Paz and have me in a boat in a matter of hours.  

Uh...why are you logged into the forum and NOT on a plane to La Paz?  ;)

Dominick

Quote from: Porthos on June 24, 2015, 04:10:13 PM
Uh...why are you logged into the forum and NOT on a plane to La Paz?  ;)
Yeah why not??? If you need some big game equipment contact me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Aiala on June 24, 2015, 03:26:08 PM

~A~

The balanced handles are sweet for fishing lures all day, but bait reels need cranking power. At first the power handles feel a little, well, unbalanced...but become very natural quickly.  ;)

Aiala

Quote from: johndtuttle on June 24, 2015, 04:36:17 PM
The balanced handles are sweet for fishing lures all day, but bait reels need cranking power. At first the power handles feel a little, well, unbalanced...but become very natural quickly. ;)

John, I have enough reels that I can keep a sensible mix; but in general --although I enjoy throwing iron-- I do find myself fishing bait more often than lures.  :)

~A~

Dominick

The balanced handles are sweet for fishing lures all day, but bait reels need cranking power. At first the power handles feel a little, well, unbalanced...but become very natural quickly.  ;)
Sort of like getting used to scotch... :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Quote from: Dominick on June 24, 2015, 07:45:19 PM
Sort of like getting used to scotch... :D Dominick

Now you lost me Dom. Zin I could do.