Okiaya Roller Rods Updated Reviews?

Started by Shark_On, June 22, 2015, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark_On

Hello All, Great site, love the amount of knowledge here. 

I read older posts regarding the Okiaya rods, no one had actually used one yet and given a report back on actually fishing experience.

I have the 80-130lb Boss Hoss, everything on it looks great so far, rollers all work, straight, I did some heavy lifting with it and like how it felt.  I couldn't resist the price, and they look nice.  For me it is a budget purchase, expensive to gear up into shark fishing.  So I view it as a starter rod to get me going.  Dont hate on me for going cheap, I know some guys are brand specific and loyal, and I understand you get what you pay for. 

But wondering how they have held up for the guys that already have them, before I buy another one.

Anyone battle tested these roller rods?   
May you live long, and fish often.

Shark Hunter

I have one that I've never used. As with any roller rod, it takes maintenance to keep it working properly. especially on the sand. I mean cleaning and lubing after every trip. The one I have arrived with a crooked gimbal and one roller completely frozen.
Chris Gatorfan has one and fished it a few times. Caught some sharks, but the last time I saw that rod, One of the rollers froze and it broke his line. Not Hatin', just stating the facts. Hopefully you will have a better outcome with yours.
Life is Good!

Shark_On

They have been out for several years but it is hard to find actual fishing results.  Found a few reviews on other forums were good.  I have heard a common thread because they are cheap no one thinks they are worth it, but most critics dont actually own one.

Another guy did say he lost a roller, and cannot get replacements.  I figure its 50/50.

I guess I will see how mine holds up before buying another. 

Shark Hunter

In the $100 range, I would buy a Davis over an Okiaya any day. JMO
Life is Good!

Shark_On

I will look into those, any other good low cost I should consider?

Shark Hunter

Nothing that would last. This rod is a davis two piece on a 12/0. They had some nice rollers, but there was a lawsuit from aftco, so, they stopped making them for a while. I really like this one.
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

They are good rods for the price but some of them have issues as shark hunter said. Be careful of the rollers though as they are nothing fancy and do tend to seize up from time to time. Keep them lubes well and out of the sand. They do make for a killer trolling rod. I have caught over 100 sharks on mine up to 450 pounds with no issues as we as 9 kings and a Wahoo so far.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

RonRico

I have rod coming from eatmytackle.com, as far as I can tell they're rebranded Okiayas. It'll be here tomorrow and I'll report back with photos and details.
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

Shark Hunter

I have one of those Ron. its not a bad rod. I would rate it above an Okiaya. The only problem with them is the reel seat. It will spin after a while. It is fixable. I would just fish it and see what happens. They are another China import. the rollers aren't too shabby.
Life is Good!

Marcq

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2015, 11:55:45 PM
Nothing that would last. This rod is a davis two piece on a 12/0. They had some nice rollers, but there was a lawsuit from aftco, so, they stopped making them for a while. I really like this one.

Nice pic  8)

Marc..

Southernsharker

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Southernsharker

I was thinking that first with the bridge but then I was looking at the rest of the scene and got thrown off haha. I love how there's never any waves there on my coast we sometimes  get hammered in the fall winter haha. I'll be making several  weekend  trips this winter and spring to that side from panama over to Pensacola  chasing mako

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

Personally I believe in making my own rods from blanks that are proven quality, I have asked the advice of other rod builders on what they may recommend like John Vadney who is an expert rod builder and willing to help you with a good choice, as well as Newell Nut who is also a accomplished rod builder.

In the long run if you are serious about your fishing equipment then building you own or having one of these guys do it for you is the way to go. IMO 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."