Okiaya Roller Rods Updated Reviews?

Started by Shark_On, June 22, 2015, 03:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Personally I would rather have a locally custom wrapped rod, or reputable stock rod with quality components.  After looking at their reels, hearing of poor QC snd cheaper components, and checking these rods out in person...I would steer clear of them.  The fully rollered big game trolling rods are cheap, and might work ok for awhile, but I am skepticle how they will hold up with prolonged use.  I would rather spend more and get better quality that will last.  Admittedly, I have not put these tods through their paces myself. 

I do have confidence in the Penn International series, and old Fenwicks with AFTCO components.  Locally wrapped Kimura customs are quality as well.  I wish I had more time to try my hand at wrapping some unlimited class, fully rollered trolling rods.  I would probably start with a cheaper set of stubbies with PacBay components, before buying better quality standup blanks with AFTCO butts and guides. I just can't seem to find the time these days though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Sharkin904

Quote from: Marcq on July 08, 2015, 07:21:59 AM

I see why you have SS everything and Carbon drags now! I'd be afraid of getting onto one of those posts lol

OKIAYA

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2015, 05:13:40 PM
I have one that I've never used. As with any roller rod, it takes maintenance to keep it working properly. especially on the sand. I mean cleaning and lubing after every trip. The one I have arrived with a crooked gimbal and one roller completely frozen.
Chris Gatorfan has one and fished it a few times. Caught some sharks, but the last time I saw that rod, One of the rollers froze and it broke his line. Not Hatin', just stating the facts. Hopefully you will have a better outcome with yours.

Please call us at your earliest convenience and we will repair or replace the rod.  All for Sophia at 443-880-2222

OKIAYA

Okiaya-Live Life in Blue Water
Caught on Okiaya 30-50 Blueline!
www.okiaya.com

OKIAYA

Caught on Okiaya 30-50 Blueline!
www.okiaya.com

OKIAYA

Caught on Okiaya 80-130 Venom pro with a 50w Okiaya Pro National Reel!
www.okiaya.com

Shark Hunter

Quote from: OKIAYA on March 19, 2017, 05:45:15 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 22, 2015, 05:13:40 PM
I have one that I've never used. As with any roller rod, it takes maintenance to keep it working properly. especially on the sand. I mean cleaning and lubing after every trip. The one I have arrived with a crooked gimbal and one roller completely frozen.
Chris Gatorfan has one and fished it a few times. Caught some sharks, but the last time I saw that rod, One of the rollers froze and it broke his line. Not Hatin', just stating the facts. Hopefully you will have a better outcome with yours.

Please call us at your earliest convenience and we will repair or replace the rod.  All for Sophia at 443-880-2222

Sophia,
This post is almost two years old. I fixed the rod myself.
It was a gift from my wife and I want to keep it.
She bought it off Amazon.
Thank You for your concern.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

I don't know how repuitable Okiaya is but I ordered their Viper Pro roller rod with straight butt & leather forgrip. They sent a rod with a bent butt & rubber forgrip. I have been trying all week to contact them but no answer to my emails or phone messages. It's starting to look like my only option is the Resolution Center on ebay. The phone number that they left on this post goes to an answering machine & messages do not get returned.      Rudy

RowdyW

Update. Finaly got a callback from Okiaya a few minutes ago. They are sending the correct rod out in the morning. I guess it works when you rattle their cage.  ;D         Rudy

Bill B

Okiaya....good to see you are standing behind your products....too bad other tackle companies are leaving their fisherman holding the bag....Thank you....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!