Spool Rubbing Issue

Started by Corroded, June 16, 2020, 06:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corroded

I recently put one of randy's Tiburon XN kits together with my P220f and im having trouble getting the spool to stop rubbing the SS frame rings. I've played with the bearing cups and i just can't seem to get it right. The best i can get it is to where it has a smooth freespool but when i tilt the reel sideways and crank on the handle i get a nasty scrape noise every 3rd rotation of the spool. It never changes the timing on that certain spot it rubs. Also i get that sound when i tighten the drag and pull out line. Is there a certain way i have to install the curved washers under the bearings in the bearing cup? I have extra bearing cups. One has a recessed hole in the inside and one is completely flat are they supposed to be in specific sideplates? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bryan Young

1) you may have bearing that have a little axial play. That would account for the rubbing every so many rotations. I've had that problem. Additionally, custom parts are usually designed from a reference reel(s). These reels may be within tolerance but The difference between your reel's tolerance and another could be at different ends of the tolerance scale causing the problem. I have had to take a dremel with a grinding cylinder and grind away at the inner ring area until no rubbing was present. Then I put it on the line wonder without line under tension and discovered that my new bearings didn't have as tight tolerance as I needed and went through 3 sets of new bearing and additional grinding the the side plate rings until it no longer rubbed. Sometimes it's a perfect fit and sometimes, with all custom parts, there's a little adjustment that will be needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Corroded

Thanks for the input Bryan. I will take another look at the reel tomorrow. Is there a good source for bearing shims? I feel like i could use some while i tackle this issue.

RowdyW

Quote from: Corroded on June 16, 2020, 06:35:07 AM
Is there a good source for bearing shims?
A trash can for a aluminum beer or soda can. A pair of scissors will cut out a shim.

Swami805

try whittierte on ebay for shims for your newell. He has a bunch of handy newell parts on there. Ships fast too.
I've had that rubbing problem too, grinding the rim a little like Bryan said or shimming can work too. Pretty common problem,just takes some patience to sort it out.
Do what you can with that you have where you are