Shimano TranX

Started by MarkT, June 28, 2015, 12:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I went to the store to pick up some line, a jig and a bigger reel bag and ended up getting a TranX too.  Hey, I'm a Tackle Ho and I'm weak that way!  I'd wanted to get one for my 10 day at the end of Sept on the Excel after a couple of guys had them on last years trip.

I had it loaded with the new Power Pro Maxcuatro line. The TranX is rated at 270 yds of 65# Power Pro or 210 yds of 80#. It actually took 315 yds of 80# Maxcuatro with a little room for a mono leader. It probably would've taken 350 yds if filled up. It'll ride on either a Phenix Black Diamond 809XHJ or a 909XH and be used for surface iron, poppers, Wax Wings, stick baits, etc. 

Fish, I'm warning you in advance, be afraid, be very afraid!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Sounds awesome Mark. Really a fun concept and deadly on Wahoo.  ;)

MarkT

I was thinking about Tuna and tails but yeah, it would be fun on Wahoo too!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Let me know how it goes. I like the reel a lot but I have heard a few failure issues on it.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 28, 2015, 01:44:34 AM
as?...

Things like

Sticky/stutter drag under high pressure (obviously we can fix that)
LW failures (my guess is due to the drag)
Stripping of gears in the 6.6:1 ratio.

Now I have heard GREAT things as well and seen pics of guys land COWS on it. I have thought a lot about getting the 6.6:1 ratio version as my main surface lure reel and some yo-yoing. I am excited to hear how a member feels about it and their experience.

MarkT

I got a good price on it since my son works at a tackle store. It'll probably go on my son's psw909xh for surface iron locally with the spectra tied to the jig. On my 10 day it'll probably go on a psw809xhj with a short mono leader. I'm going to put it to the test for surface iron, yoyo and poppers, stick baits, wax wings, etc.