Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteI recently came into a small cache of older equipment that caused me to do some research on the Montague City Rod and Reel Company.  Being from Massachusetts, I found the back-story fascinating.  I had no idea that the "worlds largest manufacturer of fishing equipment" was once located in Massachusetts.  I thought some of you may interested in these links to the Montague sites and web pages that I found that address the company and its equipment:

https://www.montaguerodandreel.com/

http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_m/montague.html

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2013/11/letterheadings-montague-rod-reel-co-by.html

https://luresnreels.com/montague.html

Thank you for these links. Great Stuff!

oc1

Thank you for sharing Bill.  Each one is a good read.
-steve

Legal Bill

Thank you, gentlemen.  I've never owned a split bamboo rod.  Now I have two of them.  One needs a new ferrule and a custom rod-building friend of mine is going to take care of that for me.  I don't want to experiment on classic rods that are otherwise in very good condition.  They both still have the little Montague fish sticker on them.

droppedit

Montague is the next town over from where I grew up (though some would argue that point) so there are many rod parts floating around this area. While cleaning out my grandfathers cellar I discovered an old Maxwellhouse coffee can loaded with nickle silver ferrules, winding checks, agate stripper guides and snake guides. I'm sure they were from one of his kronnies that worked there. I've only used one ferrule for a repair in the 26 years I've had them. I also have his split cane rod that was his treasure for many many years.
My wife's grandfather worked at the Montague shop as a designer. As the shop was winding down from it's run he was able to acquire a large bundle of tonkin splits. These were already machined and ready for planing. His plan was to retire and build a few rods and enjoy life. Unfortunately this never happened as he died very soon after he retired. Maybe 30 years later my wife's uncle asked me if I still was building rods and if so did I want some old bamboo. Well this bundle was still wrapped and tied sitting in the back of a manure spreader in the old barn. I've gone thru these and found about 75% of the cane still strong and workable and I too am hoping to someday get the planing forms and binder so I can put some of this cane together.
Another note on the old Montague shop, when it went under an employee named Sewell Dunton salvaged most of the Tonkin cane on hand as it was not imported anymore due to Communist rule. He went on as a rod builder for many years and then rumor has it that the leftover cane and machinery went to Marc Aroner of Spinoza Rods.

Dave

Sewell did not sell his inventory to Aroner but to Thomas & Thomas. Sorry about that.

http://www.dunton.org/archive/SewellDuntonRods/index.htm

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Very interesting reading. Thanks for posting it
I muck around restoring old rods and have an assortment of old guides and tips. If someone needs a quide or tip check with me I might have one. Warms the heart to see this old gear brought back to life
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

"muck around".....I think you are understating your craft a bit, my man.

Legal Bill

Quote from: droppedit on December 13, 2017, 05:22:07 PM
Montague is the next town over from where I grew up (though some would argue that point) so there are many rod parts floating around this area. While cleaning out my grandfathers cellar I discovered an old Maxwellhouse coffee can loaded with nickle silver ferrules, winding checks, agate stripper guides and snake guides. I'm sure they were from one of his kronnies that worked there. I've only used one ferrule for a repair in the 26 years I've had them. I also have his split cane rod that was his treasure for many many years.
My wife's grandfather worked at the Montague shop as a designer. As the shop was winding down from it's run he was able to acquire a large bundle of tonkin splits. These were already machined and ready for planing. His plan was to retire and build a few rods and enjoy life. Unfortunately this never happened as he died very soon after he retired. Maybe 30 years later my wife's uncle asked me if I still was building rods and if so did I want some old bamboo. Well this bundle was still wrapped and tied sitting in the back of a manure spreader in the old barn. I've gone thru these and found about 75% of the cane still strong and workable and I too am hoping to someday get the planing forms and binder so I can put some of this cane together.
Another note on the old Montague shop, when it went under an employee named Sewell Dunton salvaged most of the Tonkin cane on hand as it was not imported anymore due to Communist rule. He went on as a rod builder for many years and then rumor has it that the leftover cane and machinery went to Marc Aroner of Spinoza Rods.

Dave

Sewell did not sell his inventory to Aroner but to Thomas & Thomas. Sorry about that.

http://www.dunton.org/archive/SewellDuntonRods/index.htm

Dave,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on Montague.  Very good stories indeed.  I think we'd all like to see pictures of the raw bamboo.  I assume it is already split?

Gman_WC

A 30-40 year trip back down West Coast memory lane .
I found these last summer at a garage sale. $100 for the pair.
Sabre Stroker Californian CA6570  RS-RT  5 1/2' 30-80 (Puglsey) old boomer style rods. Roller and stripper.
The guides appear to be about 75%. Would not trust fishing these as is on a LR trip. I'd like to get them rewrapper (triple wrapped guides) in the
same roller stripper configuration. Nothing fancy, clean them up with maybe SIC Fuji guides and Aftco roller/striper.  :o

-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

thorhammer

Great finds! keep us posted with pics on the rebuild!

John

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Have some old rods from my father up in the cellar floor joists so I thought I'd pull one down to display Gramps old 9/0 with the linen.  What I ended up with was a surprise Tycoon. Ferrule to tip 60", overall 79".  Everything looks original since it left the factory except the tip guide is missing and mice probably got into the cork when dad had it stashed in the backyard shed on Cuttyhunk when I was a kid.  The cross section is 6 sided.  Anyone have an idea of what I'm looking at here?  Restore it?  Leave it original?  Thanks

Doomed from childhood

oc1

Nice.  Double built split bamboo.  I've never seen guides like that.  What do the markings say on the seat?
-steve

Cuttyhunker

This is the best I could get it
Doomed from childhood

1badf350

Looks like a 1000 series Tycoon. I have a couple of them. The Tycoon stamp in the reel seat and the holes in the guide stands indicate an early model.
It's a very cool rod. I would leave it as is and not restore it. Just find a tip.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Matter of fact I have one almost identical. Post pictures of all markings
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"