Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Ok.  Thought I'd start a thread for folks to share photos and information regarding collectable Big Game fishing rods.

I'll start with one that might barely meet the defination of 'collectable' since they were produced in relatively large numbers, and as such, can hardly be considered truely 'rare', but they were only made from ca. 1958 through ca. 1968 so it is old.  

Pictured below is my first collectable Big Game rod purchase.  It is a Roddy 'Pro Hunter' 130 class.  Rod blank appears to be heavy, thick-walled fiberglass.  The brown blank measures 5' (60").  It has 1 old-style tall, side-mount 2-roller stripper guide (maybe a Mildrum), 4 bronze ring guides, and an AFTCO rollered tip top (possibly a later addition?).  The 2 labels on the blank are mostly worn off, but the 'RO' of Roddy is visable in the lower one, and the 'PRO'  of the Pro Hunter(?) is visable in the upper decale.  There is a plastic 'HARDY HOOKEEPER', marked as such on the top of the 9 1/2" cork wrapped forgrip.  The 19" big game butt section is made of brass and is removable.  Reel seat is a 'VARMAC RS-5', and mounts 10,12,14,16/0, 80, or 130 class reels snugly.  Lower butt is hand turned wood, w/ 3 rings, and a heavy-duty bronze gimbal butt, mounted snugly with a single through pin (peened on both sides).  

The Roddy Rod Co.  built a variety of rods from the mid 1950s through 1968 out of Cordina, CA.  I believe Berkley bought the company in 1968, and continued to produce some rods (mostly freshwater, and fly rods) under this name for a few years in the 1970s.  It is my understanding, that at some later point (?) 'Master Fishing Tackle' of Carson, CA bought the rights to the 'Roddy' name.  Incidentially, it was this company, along with 'Seastriker' who bought 'Penn' in 2003.  

*As a side note:  J.C. Axelson founded AFTCO in 1958, and designed the famous roller guides shortly thereafter in his basement workshop in Newport Beach, CA.  So it is possible Roddy switched from Mildrum to AFTCO rller guides on their 80 and 130 class rods at some point.

This big game rod may not be as 'collectable' as a 'Hardy', a 'Hornell', or a 'Harrington', but they were a slightly more economical option available for offshore big game fishing, or sharking from the sand in the 1950s and 1960s.   This rod was equally capable of pairing with large reels, and landing big fish.  I got the rod for free (paid $35 shipping to HI), and I plan on leaving it 'as is' and hanging it on my wall.  

Feel free to add any info you might have on Roddy Rod Company, or share any other old rods you might have on this thread.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

A few more pics..
Hope springs eternal

UKChris

I guess I should learn how to post pictures...

I have two Harnell Royal rods with Mildrum rollers, black glass and light green whippings with yellow trims. The Royal V is 80lb class and has the Varmac RS4H reel seat, black wooden butt and Varmac ball gimbal. The Royal VII is 'Unlimited' class and matches the V apart from using the largest RS5H reel seat. I can't bend it! I'd like the 130lb rod to fill the gap  :)

Then there is the Fenwick 130lb rod with Mildrum rollers; brown glass, brown whippings, Varmac RS5H and stainless steel straight butt. This is the same rod model as used in Jaws (though Quint's original had the earlier wooden butt and was later modified as it was used chartering after filming).

Next comes the later white glass 130lb Fenwick with Aftco Big Foot guides, Varmac RS5H and Aftco bent aluminium butt.

Finally, a Biscayne 130lb rod with white (KC?) blank, Aftco Big Foot roller guides and a straight Aftco Unibutt size 6. This one has never been to sea.

My other 80lb and 130lb rods are modern and used - Penn, Star Rods and Kilwell of New Zealand.

There is a nice Hardy rod in the UK up for sale at the moment, but the asking price is £2,499! Too much for my pocket ;D

foakes

My knowledge of Big Game rods is very limited compared to many folks on this board.

For example, how many of you know that Randy, owner of Vintage Offshore Tackle -- has one of the most pristine and largest selections of Vintage Big Game rods -- anywhere?

He is a modest guy -- and would not ever brag about his expertise.

When I was fortunate enough to be able to help Randy -- for a few days at the Fred Hall Outdoor Show in Long Beach last March -- I saw first hand the sheer amount of desirable rods he had on hand -- and this was not nearly all of what he has.

Harnell, Truline, Roddy, Fenwick, and so many others -- all at very fair prices -- no gouging here.

It was amazing to see how many folks would come to Randy's display -- look over the offerings -- then immediately get on the phone to their buddies either at the show or off site -- equal interest in rods, as well as reels and jigs.

Randy is on our site -- everyone who does business with him has top praises -- and he is one of the good guys.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

I love seeing his display photos...gives me goosebumps  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Looks like Randy had a 'Roddy' at the show there priced at $130.  Knowing Randy's propencity to charge under 'fair market value', I must have got a good deal on mine.  Of course I csn't make out the model or condition from the photo.  The only other price I can make out from the above pics, is $350 for what appears to be a vintage surf casting rod..maybe a Fenwick?  It would be great if Randy could share some of his knowledge, and maybe a few collectsble rods he might currently have in his inventory.  I know shipping costs can be prohibitive on some of the lower value makes/midels though.

Not surprising he has a significant collection he is 'Vintage Offshore Tackle' afterall :)
Hope springs eternal

handi2

I have quit a few of the old bamboo rods but none made for trolling. I'll post some pictures when I have time.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Penn Chronology

Funny thing about big game fishing. I love it and have never had the money to actually do too much of it. The tackle are what legends are made of. Much gear has passed through my hands on its way to buyers with deeper pockets than me.

John, the stripper guide on your rod is definitely a Mildrum four foot guide, a la "Jaws Fenwick" fame. I own a example of the Jaws Fenwick rod tip with stainless steel bent butt.

I also own a custom Unlimited Class Shakespeare blank build with Mildrum guides, a Lakeland reel seat and a Aftco aluminum butt. Big game stuff is pure folklore and a lot of fun to collect. To be honest, what I am looking to add to my collection is a Tycoon Bimini King model. Just holding one in my hands makes me thing of Zane Grey and Hemingway, Can't touch the feeling!!!

coastal_dan

Mike - I hear you on the Tycoon tackle...I follow them on FB and really enjoy seeing the old photos with the Fin Nor's attached to those huge Tycoon tackle rods in the old b/w photos.  You're right it gets your adrenaline pumping.  I'd like to read some of Zane Grey's work, it's next on my list once I finish the Grimm Fairy Tales collection.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Starting this thread topic was a great idea!!!!! Fred reposting those pics was not....the boss  / financial advisor just eased back the throttle after Tom's kit arrived, lol, and seeing that old gear again gets me itchy...

When I was about 8, I read Pop's copy of "Shark", by Zane Gray......well, it was all over then....I grew up fishing but after reading about Tahiti and 39 thread, it was on....now, I knew there weren't a Kovalovsky to be had on grass-cutting money in North Caka-lacky, but I did save to buy a little 60 Long Beach on a Tru Temper rod at Rose's Dept Store (Dave will know about them) and made a gaff from a gutter nail and a broom handle, then started making my own lures....I guess that how it starts. I had the 60 until about 1998, fished in freshwater maybe three times for stripers but sold it for $20. Love to have that back. Then I read on to Hemingway.

If you like the nostalgia, I highly recommend you find a copy of "Sportsman's World" by Jack Samson. Published in the late 70's, I think, but it details his adventures across the globe dating back to the Forties. Read that at about age 12 and it further fueled the fire....I still have about six of my reels I got for presents as a kid in the Seventies.

otownjoe

I have a old fiberglass rod I know nothing about. There are no markings anywhere on it. I purchased the rod and reel in south Florida back in the early 80's. I've tried to date the rod by researching the reel. The reel is a ocean city #814 14/0 non cradle reel.I cannot find one reference to that exact reel anywhere online.the only reel I found with that marking is a cradle reel.  The best I can figure out is the reel was  definitely  made after 1952 based on catalogs. Any info or insite would be great.you can see where the cork grip took some major abuse from the reel harness. It also looks like the swivel tip might be missing a piece. There might have been a attachment like they use on today's wire line and deep drop rods. Its something I bought to shark fish with but never used due to a broken clicker.the guides seem to be inexpensive so I don't think its a high end rod but it seems weird there are no markings anywhere including the the gimbal, reel seat or tip.it will make a good wallhanger I'm glad I  kept it.Joe

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe reel is a ocean city #814 14/0 non cradle reel.

The Ocean City 14/O built with the standard stand and cross bars is a Model 614. If yours has the Model 814 data plate on the head plate, then it is improperly labeled. All Model 814 Ocean City 14/O's are cradle reels. The head plate logo is held on with two press in rivets and can easily be interchanged with another reel. Someone either swapped data plates or head plates on the reel you have. The rod looks like a common big game rod of the era. It could be a Montague; but, I am not an expert on rods, so I am guessing. When ever I see an old big game rod with an Ocean City reel from the same vintage as the rod I assume the rod is a Montague. In the 1940's, 50' and 60's, Ocean City and Montague shared the same catalog. Montague became a partner with Ocean City long before WW II

otownjoe

Thanks for the info. No wonder I couldn't find it online. The reel does have some incorrect parts and makeshift repairs done to it..  Hopefully that means it was well used and caught plenty of fish.   Joe

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks a million for the plug Fred.  I do love the old rods, especially the So. Cal. classics from the 60's and 70's, and I have been buying up a storm following up on the leads that came in at the tackle show.  While I have no problem shipping reels and lures worldwide, I am very reluctant to ship rods for several reasons.  Unlike reels, and particularly with the older models, rods with the same model number can have very different actions, so the buyer may not get what he is expecting.  Packaging a rod securely enough to prevent damage to the tip and guides is a very time consuming job, as it seems that all of the carriers are not very careful in handling them, and take particular delight in slamming the tubes down on their ends.  The carriers (USPS, UPS and FedEx) can be inconsistent in applying oversize surcharges, which can significantly increase shipping costs.  For all of those reasons, I would much prefer that the buyer has the opportunity to pull on the rod and is happy with it before he commits to the purchase, and take it with him so that I do not have to deal with the shipping issues.  On rare occasions, I will ship rods, but I prefer to ship two or more at a time so that I can overlap the butts so that no tips are exposed, and so that the shipping cost as a factor of the total cost is lessened. 

My primary selling opportunity is at the Long Beach Fred Hall Show, but I would love to get together with any Tani family members here in the San Luis Obispo area.  If anyone is coming here to go fishing at Morro Bay or Avila, I can meet them at the landing.  I also make frequent trips to So. Cal. and less frequent trips to the Bay Area, and I can deliver rods anywhere along highway 101, 880 and 405 corridors between the Bay Area and Orange County, inclusive.  If anyone is looking for a particular rod, I would love to have a shot at the business.  I specialize in Trulines and Neptunas, but also have a scattering of Harnell, Roddy, Silaflex, old Lamiglas, Fenwick and a slug of vintage Sabres.  When buying large lots of tackle, I also wind up with a lot of contemporary Calstars and Seekers and currently have a half-dozen really nice jig stick blanks.

If anyone is looking for anything along those lines, I would love to have a shot at your business.  You can reach me at rfpauly@aol.com, or if you would rather talk than type, 805-748-9202.

Thanks,

Randy Pauly

Alto Mare

Ok John, here are a few collectible big game Fenwick rods. I know that most have seen these already, but I'll play along.
Enjoy:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.