Collectable Big Game Fishing Rods

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 03:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

This is a fairly light spinning rig and the the delam is about a 64th opening on one of the seams.  Is there a way to get rid of the old glue using a wash or thinner say on a small artist's brush or is this going to be a razor blade and compressed air job.  What is the base of the tightbond for cleaning up the excess after the clamping?
Thanks 
Doomed from childhood

oldmanjoe

Tightbond will clean up with water/ damp cloth .   For clamping i would bind it with string , just like you would do if you built it from scratch .
  I use acetone to soften old finish and glue clean ups.   I just did one were the tip started to delaminate for 8 inches.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cuttyhunker

Thanks for the tip, I may be dealing with tip delam too as there is a mess of tape there I haven't attacked yet, it's all going to wait for the spring as I'm headed south too soon to get into the project.  I do like the twine wrap better than the clamps on this skinny little thing, but I will be doing a little more homework before I get going.  Any recommendations on replacing the cork handle for this fresh water spinner?
Thanks Again
Doomed from childhood

Cuttyhunker

Starting near the bottom of page 3 on this thread was some question about opposed guides on the old wood or bamboo rods.  Just found this page in the 1928 Abbey & Imbree catalog offering them for sale that I downloaded from ORCA.   
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Thank you for this Bob.  Interesting page.  A couple of things catch my attention:

At the top they talk about a "spring butt" or flexible handle surf casting rod to get better distance.  I found out by accident that some flex in the handle makes a rod cast a bit farther, but think this concept has generally been lost to time.  Or, maybe I have just never had the strength to load the handle of a modern surf rod.

Their better rods had agate guides but the less expensive rods had "imitation agate".  I have always heard the imitation agate being referred to as Agatine.  The fact that they had both real and imitation agate in 1928 and had not yet coined the Agatine name could indicate that this was the transition period.

They describe a lancewood rod.  Man, I wish I could figure out what plant their "lancewood" was coming from back then.  All over the world there are different species of trees with the common name lancewood so it is difficult to sort out now.

-steve

Cuttyhunker

Steve,
Here's a few more from A & I's 1920 catalog. These cats are on ORCA and free to download for members. Could lancewood be as simple a the Black Knight's choice for his big mean pointy stick? Wood properties should be about the same for both applications.  Maybe a Renaissance fair or a visit to a medieval professor/weapons expert is in your future.
Enjoy,
Bob
Doomed from childhood

oc1

More good stuff Bob.

Bethabara is beautiful wood and is discussed here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23503.0

The amateur rod making book by Frazier can still be had and is a really terrific read.
https://books.google.com/books?id=4yEXvgAACAAJ&source=gbs_book_other_versions

It's been a while since I searched, but I think the jousting lance was made of ash in it's day.  Ash would probably be too brittle for a fishing rod.  If there is something called lancewood in Britain then I could not find it.  There are several species called lancewood as close as the West Indies and others in Africa and elsewhere.
-steve

oldmanjoe

I have been picking up the orphans and refinishing them.     Most came with no guides ,open seams and no decals ,or a ghost of one .
   They will all be sun bathing on the back of the boat at one time or another .
   I am looking for Montague ,Horrochs - Ibbotson and Southbend catolog pictures of salt water rods  to help identify some of these sticks.
 The fly rods are well documented ,not so much with boat rods.   Joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

This one puzzles me .  What is left of the decal is :   eas  ern       oa
                                                                                                   ck

A picture of what is left
Montague on the reel seat, 3 agate single guides with a big tip

Found a better picture of the decal       " Eastern coast   Tackle "

oldmanjoe

While cleaning out my fathers attic , i found "Murphey"  my grandfathers rod.

oldmanjoe

This is a updated pictures of the poles in my previous post.     My grandfather`s and my uncle Frank`s  

UKChris1

Good morning. It's been a while since I called by, but if anyone is visiting the UK and happens to be in the Cornish town of Looe there is a tackle shop on the quayside that has several old big-game rods and reels on display. They include a Hardy Fortuna rod and 16/0 Senator and, if I remember correctly, a Hardy Zane Grey reel. Might not be worth coming all this way just for that  ::), but if you are passing...

Torinogt68

Hey everyone I posted my nice condition Ocean city 614 on eBay it ends Sunday at 6pm PST if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255677475219?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ppkOJvu4TpO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ppkOJvu4TpO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Shellbelly

39 snipers hidin' in the brush for that nice reel!  The last 30 seconds will be fun to watch.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Torinogt68

Quote from: Shellbelly on August 20, 2022, 11:12:50 PM39 snipers hidin' in the brush for that nice reel!  The last 30 seconds will be fun to watch.
Thanks I hope you are right!