Kayak fishing

Started by Reel 224, June 29, 2015, 12:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

This weekend a young man was drowned near the area that me and my wife fish in this is the article http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/06/kayaker_pulled_from_raritan_bay_has_died_authoriti.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter. It doesn't say he was fishing but never the less I know lots of people do fish from Kayaks.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Rancanfish

That's just terrible.  Not much info on what happened. Sorry for the family.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

Being a kayak fisherman this hits home.  There are A LOT of situations like this, many end up in missing people.  It's downright sad.  With that being said...many of these situations can be avoided...WEAR A PFD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's easy to put on, a really good one is around $100 and they last a few years...cheaper than a rod and reel combo.  Also, tell people where you are going and have a plan..."I'll call you at blah blah blah".  A big one for me is have a waterproof phone case and it needs to be attached to you PFD, no questions asked.

Sigh....it is sad and what makes it so much 'sadder' is that it didn't have to happen.

Condolences to his family.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark_On

Sad to see when this happens...your right it can be prevented by making good decisions, and know your limits.  Anybody in Galveston area knows San Luis Pass currents claim several fisherman every year, if only they were wearing a life jacket they would still be fishing today.

Its good to share bad news if it helps someone else from making the same mistake.

This weekend I went shark fishing at Surfside, I was all set up on the beach, excited to use my new rod and reel, baited up and ready to yak out my bait, realized I had forgot my life jacket at the house.  I decided to try and paddle out anyway.  I made one trip out, but was exhausted by the wind and waves plus strong currents.  Its at this moment when my arms are tired, and Im breathing hard I said its not worth it, if I get rolled by a wave am I strong enough to recover the kayak or swim back to the beach with the currents...I headed back in and fished the 2nd gut instead, enjoyed the beach, and lived to fish another day.

I'm new to shark fishing and yaking out baits, but didn't want to turn a rookie mistake into a tragedy.  I am an excellent swimmer, grew up on the water, which lends to my confidence to go without a life jacket, but wisdom trumps ego, and I played it safe.  Thank God I made it back in. 

My point to posting is that I have learned from others who unfortunately didn't make it, and now from my own experience, I will not risk it in the future.  Life jacket is a must for me, and is now burned into my brain as a do not leave home without it item.   

May you live long, and fish often.

Reel 224

I am glad to see people here are getting a positive response to a tragedy that needlessly happened. If this gets to just one person and saves there lives to return home to there loved ones, then I will be happy.

Shark_On put this in a perfect perspective."Wisdom trumps ego"

One more point that I wanted to make before was. This body of water is in the Bay and fairly calm, nothing like the open Ocean. Those of you that fish Open water need to be 10times more cautious.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

kmstorm64

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 30, 2015, 08:46:29 PM
Being a kayak fisherman this hits home.  There are A LOT of situations like this, many end up in missing people.  It's downright sad.  With that being said...many of these situations can be avoided...WEAR A PFD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's easy to put on, a really good one is around $100 and they last a few years...cheaper than a rod and reel combo.  Also, tell people where you are going and have a plan..."I'll call you at blah blah blah".  A big one for me is have a waterproof phone case and it needs to be attached to you PFD, no questions asked.

Sigh....it is sad and what makes it so much 'sadder' is that it didn't have to happen.

Condolences to his family.

Second your thoughts and add, don't paddle alone!  It hits the fan fast, and sometimes that buddy can be the difference between life and death.  I used to blow major gaskets when I would see people rent kayaks and then go out past the break walls of Half Moon Bay with nothing on but a fracking t-shirt. The deep blue is unforgiving in those circumstances.  Same for dumbasses who think a Canoe in Drakes Bay think it is safe.  Another place wear the count goes up every year.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!