Rod/reel recopmmendation for 5 y/o for rockfish

Started by AlasKen, June 29, 2015, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

No --

You have done everything right, Ken --

The best thing is the greased drags --

Then also pay attention on how the line is winding on and off the spool -- it should be as close to alignment with the line guide as possible -- just check it periodically -- this helps to prevent excess friction and wear on the worm, pawl, and line guide.

Also keep a couple of extra nylon idler gears in your shop.  This is a weak link by design -- it helps to prevent damage to the more expensive gear parts, as well as your fingers.

On the handle -- her hand can only grip so much -- so while a larger handle would be great for you -- it may not fit her small hand well.

You will figure ot out.

Great job on exposing her to the outdoor experience -- she will never forget it!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AlasKen

Quote from: foakes on February 23, 2016, 07:50:35 PM
No --

You have done everything right, Ken --

The best thing is the greased drags --

Then also pay attention on how the line is winding on and off the spool -- it should be as close to alignment with the line guide as possible -- just check it periodically -- this helps to prevent excess friction and wear on the worm, pawl, and line guide.

Also keep a couple of extra nylon idler gears in your shop.  This is a weak link by design -- it helps to prevent damage to the more expensive gear parts, as well as your fingers.

On the handle -- her hand can only grip so much -- so while a larger handle would be great for you -- it may not fit her small hand well.

You will figure ot out.

Great job on exposing her to the outdoor experience -- she will never forget it!

Best,

Fred

I assume I can pick up the idler gears and Penn Parts? Having some on hand sounds like a good idea.  Saving fingers sounds like an even better idea.

Quick follow-up question.  This is going to sound strange but I have to ask.  What is the proper way to get the line back in sync with the level wind?  It seems I usually wind the line all the way on the spool and note the direction it is feeding and then wind until the level wind is in the correct position and moving the correct direction.  I don't have a reel in front of me but will loosening the drag and pulling line do it.  I just don't use a level wind much and it has slipped my mind.  Just curious if there is a better way.  I also posted a photo of the little one ice fishing in the family section.  Thanks.  Ken

foakes

Few ways, Ken --

Just keep cranking -- it will come back into syncho

Run the guide to one side -- snip the line -- realign line and guide -- after lining everything up

Release all line and respool

Or just take out the pawl and pawl cap with a screwdriver -- turn the spool until the line is ordered the way you want it to be by direction -- reinstall the pawl and cap after lining the guide up with the line.

The last one works the best for a quick fix, if you are on the water -- and do not want to change out your trolling rigging.  Just do not want to lose any little parts.

Mostly just whatever works the best for you.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Big Tim

I can't add anything to this thread as you are getting all the right advice, but if PM me your address I can send you and your little princess some custom shrimp flies.

BT