Wiping down reel plates

Started by Sandbar33, December 28, 2010, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandbar33

Looking for suggestions to what you guys prefer to wipe down your reels with after fishing in salt water. I suspect Corrosion X would be a great choice just curious if anybody prefers anything else......Anybody ever try Ballistol? I think it is similar to Corrosion X

Phinaddict

After a good freshwater rinse and drying, I periodically wipe down my reels with a 3" x 3" terry cloth I keep in a ziplock bag rubberbanded to my Corrosion X can. I keep the rag "lightly saturated" and just carefully wipe down the exterior of the reels periodically. When I break them down for maintenance, the interiors get grease, Corrosion X or both. To date, no corrosion issues...uh, but maybe that's because I don't fish as much as I used to!

Ballistol and Corrosion X are very different. Im no chemist, but we used to use Ballistol for guns and bikes. I think it is an oil. Corrosion X is a quantum leap forward in lubricating protectants. It creates a molecular bond to the metal and does not wash off. Their web site explains the technology.  There are more brands/technologies out there as well.

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Sandbar33

Would TSI 301 sprayed on a rag and wiped on the reel plates be a good salt water corrosion inhibitor?

alantani

i am very happy with tsi 301 for bearings.  the concern i have is that "mystery solvent" that tsi 301 as in it.  if they were willing to tell us what it was, then we could decide for ourselves.  or someone adverturous could try it and let us know.  until then, i would be happy to continue using corrosion x. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Whit

After rinsing them off, I actually like to wipe mine down with a warm soapy (soap: dishwashing detergent) cloth: good old fashioned elbow grease.  Then use an oily cloth (there are usually several of those lurking around my workshop of varying random blends of oils).

That said, if you are just doing stand alone PLASTIC/BAKELITE sideplates (reel not assembled) I would not use any oils at all, having learned the hard way more than once.  Here's why: the plastic in them seems to absorb the oils and expand the sideplates to where the rings won't even fit.  And they don't shrink back after a couple years either (don't ask how I know this!) >:(

For just plastic sideplates alone, what I do is clean them in soapy warm water and a toothbrush to get the nooks and crannies, then dry them off quickly to limit absorbtion. If it will be a while before I assemble the rest of the reel (such as waiting for a parts order) I'll wrap the sideplates in paper towel then in a baggie, and stash them in the same box next to the rest of the greasy parts but oil free. 

Once the reel is reassembled, then a nice oily rag (Corrosion X is wonderful) brings out the shine on both the sideplates and the rings!

Whit

Norcal Pescador

Good point on the absorption, Whit. When I get a new reel :) [not very often :(] I like to put a good coat of Gel Gloss [fiberglass polish] on the side plates as part of the business of getting it ready to use. If the side plates are dirty on a used reel I'll give them a good dry scrubbing, followed by brake parts cleaner if necessary. Then the Gel Gloss goes on to seal the surface before I put my oil/greasy hands on them. After fishing a good wash with clear or slightly soapy water and a rag, rinsed and wiped dry, and re-polished every so often.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

JGB

We do two levels of reel wipe downs.

Level 1 is on the water while traveling back home (1 to 2 days) - Using a spray pump bottle with fresh water and saltX we spray and wipe dry (reels are already off the rods) and then let them dry on a towel for several hours if possible. Alternate 2 is if available sneak into the bathroom or shower and rinse the reels and spools in the shower. let stand on a towel for 15 min dry and the spray treat with saltX.
Level 2 is at home - Hose down the reels, remove line and soak line in buckets of fresh water for 3 days let air dry for a week. In the mean time Open each reel and lubricate and check for water intrusion and clean and lube as necessary. Wipe and lube the drag disks. Reassemble and load the cleaned and dried line  and place reels in storage out of direct sun light. Cleaning the line prevents salt crystals in the spectra and affords a time to check the line for damage.

Yes a lot of work as I do 14 reels (2 of us) but it is much better than waiting for 6 moths and discovering hidden damage.

Jim N.

Fishead

Most of my trips are 12 hours or less.I usually wash mine with a mild soap & warm water on a micro fiber wash mitt.Then shake them to get any standing water out of the sideplates or rotor cup on spinners.I used to tap the butts on the ground lightly to get the water out until I broke the foot off a daiwa 7000c many years ago(no great loss).I then use a chamois to dry the rod from the tip to the butt including the reel.I dont know if I'm too picky but I dont seem to see any need to wipe my reels down with a lubricant.I do wipe the frames down with a grease rag when I service them leaving only a super thin film.seems to work  for me.Dont forget to hit your ceramic guides frames with a spray & wipe around the ring every so often,I have found this greatly increases the life of ring guide frames by keeping the salt out.I also spray & wipe all my roller guides every use,I have 20 year old rods that look like the guides are brand new.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

aus bass

I use a pump/spray bottle with freshwater and salt-away. Spray the entire reel down, give it a quick wipe down and let dry completely. I NEVER spray them with pressurised water (ie out of a hose) as it pushes the salt water into the reel.

Every 6 months or so all reels get pulled apart for maintenance, re-greased and lubed up and put back together. I also remove the line every 12 months and replace or reuse but when putting it back on i spray the line with reel magic. Gives it a little protection. No problems as yet.....touch wood.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".