And I thought International Parts were expensive...

Started by Tightlines667, June 29, 2015, 08:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Thats the thing about Ebay...
you can ask for anything you want..

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181788620339

Then again, who am I to say what the value of this lot of parts is?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

Dang!  I can't imagine it's worth that much, but like you said...who are we to say.

I thought this was neat...but a little pricey too...in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-its-a-Vintage-RARE-PENN-REEL-REPAIR-PARTS-BOX-6-FILLED-w-LOTs-O-STUFF-/251976450076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aaaf7801c
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 29, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
Dang!  I can't imagine it's worth that much, but like you said...who are we to say.

I thought this was neat...but a little pricey too...in my opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-its-a-Vintage-RARE-PENN-REEL-REPAIR-PARTS-BOX-6-FILLED-w-LOTs-O-STUFF-/251976450076?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aaaf7801c

Shhh...

Thats a special one, though it is not likely complete, and appears to have a hodge podge of parts, many which are not likely period correct.  Still a cool item.  Especially for a penn reel repairman and collector like myself.  

Mike does not list a value for this item in his price guide...
I am a little lost on what its true value is?

Other then it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it :)

This kit made its first appearance in the no.15/1950 catalog when it was offered for $20 (the price of a new 4/0 at the time), and continued tlthe same advertisement and price appeared every year at least through Catalog No. 22 (1959).  I am not sure, but suspect that the kit contained the same quantities of the same parts throughout this period.  If this is the case, the advertisement would have been somewhat misleading as time went on, since it boasts "For All Penn Reels  Contains an assortment of small parts for all Penn Reels, except Senator Reels, Size 6/0 to 16/0. 

The kit appears to have carried bearings (bushings), and springs, gear sets, level wind parts, jacks, yokes, gear sets, 6 complete bridge assemblies, a single handle, a single rod clamp, an assortment of dogs (and of course dog springs), eccentric and retaining screws for handle and eccentric, stand bolts and nuts, spacing sleeves, 2 wrenches, a penn pocket screwdriver, and a tube of lube.  I don't believe it had squidder bearings, or lever, clicker parts, lugs, side plates, stands, spools, posts or a few of the parts that were unique to a specific reel. 

I suspect the parts inventory list that came with the kit was the same throughout its life, despite the fact that many of these parts were likely nonnumbered when the kit first made its appearance, and by the end of the period it was offered for (?) the parts we expect to see numbered today had numbers. 

Excuse my rough conjecture above, I am basing my limited knowledge on available catalogs, and photos.

Hope springs eternal

Penn Chronology

Putting a value on a parts kits is impossible. They are worth whatever the seller can get for them. I have not taken any picture of it yet; but, I just bought a fantastic Ocean City parts kit for saltwater reels from the 1920's and 1930's. It is in a wood box with over 100 small parts boxes in the kit, each box had about a half dozen parts in them.

This kit had a good value to me, because every time I need to get Ocean City parts, I have to buy a parts reel, this kit saves me from doing that. So its value is what I deem its value to be and what the seller decides he is willing to let it go for. That logic can change the value of an item like this from sale to sale.

otownjoe

He's got a whole kit with the clicker parts I need for my OCEAN City 14/0.when you buy it let me know.Joe

Reel 224

That's a lot of parts and a lot of like parts, one thing that I think may be a problem is how it is presented. No specific order and in piles looking like junk with no inventory to reference. If you where there in person and had the time to sort threw all of that it may be that this person is giving out a bargain. $3,500.00 is a lot of money in my mind but not for parts that are valuable, if I were selling gun parts of that volume I would darn sure have them in order and a complete inventory.     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

whalebreath

Thanks to everyone for their input here you've given me some perspective.  8)

Penn Chronology

QuoteHe's got a whole kit with the clicker parts I need for my OCEAN City 14/0.when you buy it let me know.Joe

Sorry Joe but this kit, which I feel very lucky to have found, is a 1930's kit for servicing standard size saltwater reel. There are no big game parts in the mix. Knowing what 14/O you have is important. In 1938, Ocean City made two 14/O reels. One was called the Balboa and the other was called the Panama. In 1941, Ocean City introduced a new big game reel for use in its cradle reel. It was Model 814. After the war, Ocean City converted the Model 814--14/O cradle reel to the Model 614--14/O standard mount reel. Knowing what OC--14/O you have will help in your parts quest.

I just received the parts kits from California and as I said, I feel very lucky to have found it. It looks to be a dealer kit from the 1930's. It is contained in a well, old fashioned designed wood box.

Opening it up reveals a neatly organized series of small numbered boxes.

There is a list of the parts on the iside of the lid. The list is an Ocean City printed list.

There are over 100 boxes sitting in three stacked trays. All with about a half a dozen of the parts named on the inside lid list.

The bottom compartment are supposed to have handles but they are missing. This is the best early 1930's kit I have ever seen. All the parts are German Silver.

Tightlines667

Wow Mike!  

That is a work of art.  Beautiful kit.  

You could say.. you've got the whole 'kit 'n kaboodle' there.

Am I safe to assume that this might be featured in your Ocean City Reels book you are rumoured to be working on?

Too bad the modern reel manufactures don't offer similar repair kits today (at least not that I'm aware of?).
Hope springs eternal

otownjoe

That's amazing to find such a complete kit for the ocean city reels from that time period.In my first post in this thread I was making a joke about the $3500 parts collection.In that collection I saw a plastic box with the clicker assembly, rivets and knobs for ocean city reels.I never read the whole thread before replying. When I read the whole thread it looks like I was inviting myself to parts from your newly found treasure.sorry about that. I had planned on getting a donor reel for the parts I needed. From the schematics I've found online the clicker button is the same part number  as  the more common and cheaper smaller reels. Thanks Joe

Penn Chronology

Thanks guys. This kit was found at a California Garage sale by a friend of mine. My friend sent me the pictures of it and the email address of the seller, who was an ORCA member. I was astounded that he still had the kit after the sale was over. We made a deal for it and now it is in my possession.

So many of these old kits have been abused. There original parts are gone, old parts have been thrown in with the new ones, everything is all mixed up, not this ket. I have not opened all the boxes yet but I have randomly checked the number on many of the boxes with the index on the inside of the lid and so far, every little box has remains of the original parts and all are new old stock.

I am working on a Ocean City project but it is a long way from completion. I need longer days..................<:O(

foakes

That is a great find, Mike -- Historical.

I may have to take a look in a storage container I have -- I seem to recall a hinged case made out of the same type and color of wood as your case.  It is empty, but there are, if I recall -- 4 to 6 separate compartments that appear that they may be crafted for large reel storage or transport.  Might be homemade, or done by some company like OC -- who knows?

I do have perhaps close to 100 old OCs.  No really big ones though.

And this is an old kit of freshwater OC replacement parts.

Do not think anything in here is large enough for Joe's 14 -- but if so, he would be welcome to what he might need.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnd this is an old kit of freshwater OC replacement parts.

The kit you have is a very nice collectible: but, it will not help Joe. Your kit is from 1942 and it is in the catalog:

Joe said he needs a clicker button for a 14/O. I have photos of a 10/O--Model 810 Cradle Reel which I believe uses the same clicker Assembly.

It might be easier to find a parts reel, than the parts or find a tackle shop that has been in business for about 75 years.

coastal_dan

These kits are darn cool.  Congrats Mike on one heck of a find.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteThese kits are darn cool.  Congrats Mike on one heck of a find.

Thanks Dan, as I said, I felt very lucky to find this kit. I have not been able to document anything about it. I suspect it is a commercial kit meant to be sold to dealers. It must have been a expensive kit. I have to take it out and look into it more. Whoever used it was very clean, usually shop stuff gets dusty and dirty over the years but this one looks like Fred Oakes owned it................................ ;D